Share and Follow
Authorities are investigating a “concerning” data leak that has resulted in the public release of dozens of high-profile phone numbers, including Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and Opposition leader Sussan Ley.
The information was allegedly obtained by a third-party data site using artificial intelligence to scrape sites, including social media profiles, for user details. It is then collated to create a digital phonebook.
Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles said the government was aware of the breach.

“We’ve notified authorities, and that is being worked through. But obviously, there is concern,” he told reporters on Tuesday morning.

A man speaking while standing at a lectern.

The breach, initially reported by the Australian website Ette Media, allegedly involved the unauthorized acquisition of personal details belonging to leaders of both major political parties, along with Marles and former Prime Minister Scott Morrison. The sensitive information was reportedly “scraped” from professional networking sites, including LinkedIn.

Initial reporting by Australian website Ette Media claimed both major party leaders’ details, as well as those of Marles and former prime minister Scott Morrison, were “scraped” by the US-based site from professional networking platforms including LinkedIn.

It prompted Ley’s office to request that LinkedIn “remove the information” from the Opposition leader’s profile.
“This is obviously concerning, and we have reached out to LinkedIn to understand what occurred here. We are waiting for their response,” an Opposition spokesperson said.

As the investigation unfolds, the incident raises significant questions about the online security of public figures and the efficacy of privacy measures on digital platforms. The situation remains under close scrutiny as authorities work to resolve the breach and prevent future occurrences.

“In addition to the technology and teams we’ve long had in place to stop unauthorised data scraping, we continue to invest in new defences and take legal action when necessary, to detect and prevent our members’ information being used without their consent,” a LinkedIn spokesperson said in a statement.
The security breach follows new data from the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD), which shows 42 per cent of cyber incidents last year were the result of stolen credentials.

The agency responsible for detecting and disrupting malicious cyber threats released its annual report on Tuesday, revealing a rise of 11 per cent in cyber incidents.

ASD director-general Abigail Bradshaw said the way cyber criminals and state actors are gaining access to organisations, critical infrastructure, and businesses is changing.
“Networks are increasingly not being hacked, but are being breached through compromised or stolen credentials to gain unauthorised access,” she said.
In almost half of the incidents impacting large organisations, access was gained using real usernames and passwords, often stolen or bought by cyber criminals on the dark web.
Given that the access is genuine, instead of a hack, it is harder to track.
ASD urged Australians to opt out of using passwords and replace them with multi-factor authentication, among a series of other measures, to keep their families’ data safe.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like

Ukraine’s Political Shakeup: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Amid Corruption Probe

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Police are hoping to avoid violent scenes witnessed at a similar protest and counter-protest on October 19.

Prepare for Weekend Protests: What Melburnians Need to Know About CBD Disruptions

Melburnians are being warned to expect major delays and chaos in the…
Remembering Virginia Giuffre: The woman who helped bring down Jeffery Epstein

Inside the Modest Estate at the Center of Virginia Giuffre’s Legal Showdown

The legal dispute over the estate of Virginia Giuffre, known for accusing…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Australian Man Imprisoned for Setting Up Malicious WiFi Networks at Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for setting up fraudulent…
Teenager fighting for life, man injured after stabbing at shopping centre

Shocking Stabbing at Shopping Center: Teen in Critical Condition, Man Injured – What You Need to Know

A distressing incident marred the bustling atmosphere of Black Friday sales at…

Trump Proposes Migration Freeze on ‘Third World Countries’ Following National Guard Incident

US President Donald Trump has announced he will “permanently pause” migration from…
The train station art was labelled 'AI slop'

Sydney Train Station Takes Down Controversial ‘AI Slop’ Mural Following Public Backlash

A mural at a Sydney train station has been taken down following…
South Australian major crime detectives have visited Yatala Labour Prison to see Bevan Spencer Von Einem – one of the state's most notorious child killers.

Final Confrontation: Detectives Uncover Chilling Truths from Notorious Killer’s Deathbed Confession

Detectives from South Australia’s major crime unit recently made a visit to…