Share and Follow

In a significant development within the Liberal Party, Angus Taylor has stepped down from the party’s frontbench, signaling a potential leadership challenge to current leader Sussan Ley.
After keeping press gallery journalists in anticipation outside his office for several hours, Taylor finally broke his silence just after 7 p.m. He was seen making his way to Ley’s office, where he spent only a few minutes. Upon exiting, he announced his resignation, citing a loss of confidence in Ley’s leadership.
Addressing the media in Canberra, Taylor expressed his doubts about Ley’s capacity to steer the party effectively. “I don’t believe Sussan Ley is in a position to lead the party as it needs to be led from here,” he stated.
Taylor elaborated on his decision, explaining that although he had tried to be a “constructive member” of Ley’s team, he believes the party requires “strong leadership” to recover and move forward after its significant defeat in the May elections.
He said he had attempted to be a “constructive member” of Ley’s team but thinks the party needs “strong leadership” if it’s to rebuild following its historic May election loss.
“That means we need strong leadership, clear direction, and a relentless and courageous focus on our values as a first priority,” he said.
Taylor is expected to challenge Ley for the leadership role, following weeks of speculation about the party’s future. It remains unclear whether more resignations from the frontbench will follow.
The Opposition leader’s critics have been advocating for change, following a series of dire poll results.
Ley, who has been in the top job for less than 12 months, has spent most of her tenure surrounded by rumours of a spill, but they reached fever pitch after a second break-up with the Nationals in late January. The parties reunited at the weekend.
Last May, Ley beat Taylor narrowly — 29 to 25 — when the party room voted on who would replace Peter Dutton as Liberal Party leader following the Coalition’s heavy federal election defeat.
However the retirement of two senators and the removal of Gisele Kapterian from the party room after she lost a recount in Bradfield means, in reality, the numbers are even tighter.
Taylor has long been the frontrunner due to his factional position in the party’s right, a prospect strengthened when Andrew Hastie ruled himself out.
The persistent rumours prompted Liberal frontbencher Andrew Bragg, a key Ley ally, to bait Taylor’s supporters to prove they have the numbers with a list or “move on”.
“If people want to do these things, they should put their names to it,” Bragg told ABC News earlier on Wednesday.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.