North West, daughter of Kim Kardashian, set to debut her own fashion and jewelry brand

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's daughter, North, is preparing to step into the spotlight with her own fashion and jewelry brand. The 12-year-old, recently seen...
HomeAUAustralia Takes Action to Cut Off North Korea's Weapon Funding

Australia Takes Action to Cut Off North Korea’s Weapon Funding

Share and Follow

The Australian federal government has taken decisive action against cybercriminals accused of channeling funds to support North Korea’s weapons of mass destruction programs. In a strategic move to curb these illicit activities, financial sanctions and travel bans have been imposed.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong emphasized the collaborative effort with the United States to cut off financial resources to North Korea. The measures target four entities and an individual who are believed to be financially backing the regime’s illegal weapons initiatives.

CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 03: Minister for Foreign Affairs Senator Penny Wong listen in the Senate Chamber at Parliament House on November 03, 2025 in Canberra, Australia. Australia's parliament convened for sittings as a number of pressing issues come to the fore, from inflation and cost of living domestically to Australia's relationship with its allies in the region and beyond internationally. (Photo by Hilary Wardhaugh/Getty Images)
Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong said Australia is working to “starve” North Korea of funds. (Getty)

“The threat posed by North Korea to the region is significant,” Wong remarked during a recent announcement. “It’s crucial to collaborate with partners to increase pressure on the regime, and cutting off their financial resources is a key strategy.”

Wong expressed her deep concern over North Korea’s extensive involvement in harmful cyber activities, highlighting the gravity of the threat they pose.

Wong described the scale of North Korea’s involvement in malicious cyber activities as “deeply concerning”.

She called on the one-party state to abandon its “unlawful weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programs in a complete, verifiable and irreversible manner”.

“The Australia government is taking this action with the United States to apply pressure on North Korea’s illegal revenue generation networks and address its persistent challenges to security and stability,” Wong added in a statement.

“Australia will continue to work with international partners to respond to malicious cyber activity, promote the framework for responsible state behaviour in cyberspace and keep Australians safe.”

An international report has accussed North Korea of stealing billions in cryptocurrency. The country’s Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un is pictured here. (KCNA/Reuters/File via CNN Newsource)

The US has doled out similar punishments against cybercriminals supporting the creation of weapons of mass destruction.

The US State Department earlier this week sanctioned two entities and eight people alleged to have supported North Korea’s schemes to launder funds.

It named Ryujong Credit Bank, Korea Mangyongdae Computer Technology Company and its president U Yong Su among those sanctioned.

The department said the US “strongly condemns” the activities of entities associated with the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.

Share and Follow