HomeAUAustralia Temporarily Bars Return of Citizen Linked to ISIS: National Security Concerns...

Australia Temporarily Bars Return of Citizen Linked to ISIS: National Security Concerns Rise

Share and Follow
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed an exclusion order had been taken out against the individual, who is an Australian citizen and part of a group of 34 women and children from 11 families who are seeking to leave Syria and return to Australia.

Burke confirmed that a Temporary Exclusion Order has been issued for one person in the group, based on recommendations from security agencies.

Minister for Home Affairs, Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Minister for Cyber Security, Minister for the Arts and Leader of the House Tony Burke during the presentation and motion for second reading of the Combatting Antisemitism, Hate and Extremism (Firearms and Customs Laws) Bill 2026, in the House of Representatives at Parliament House in Canberra on Tuesday 20 January 2026. fedpol Photo: Alex Ellinghausen
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said he acted on the advice of security agencies. (Alex Ellinghausen)

“At this point, security agencies have not advised that other individuals in the group meet the necessary legal criteria for such orders,” he added.

The Department of Home Affairs refrained from commenting, stating that it couldn’t discuss specific cases.

The group had attempted to exit a camp in northeastern Syria with plans to travel to Damascus and eventually return to Australia.

However, just an hour into their journey, authorities intercepted them and sent them back to the camp.

Hakmiyeh Ibrahim, the camp’s director, said the planned repatriations were organised by family members of the returnees, who had travelled from Australia to accompany them, rather than directly by Australian authorities.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese confirmed he and his government would not be providing any support to the group in their efforts to return to Australia.

“We won’t repatriate them,” Albanese told ABC radio.

“The government was taken to court by one of the non-government organisations, saying that we had a responsibility, and they weren’t successful in that.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese pays a visit to the Royal Children Hospital and speakds to some staff there. 17 February 2026. Photo: Eddie Jim.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese and his government are refusing to help the Australian citizens return home. (Eddie Jim)

Cabinet Minister Amanda Rishworth echoed the Prime Minister’s sentiments.

“Our security agencies are monitoring the situation in Syria, but there won’t be assistance from the Australian government,” cabinet minister Amanda Rishworth told Today.

“They made a choice to go to Syria.”

Most people in the Roj camp are women and children with alleged links to Islamic State, though many are not prisoners or have not been accused of a crime.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow