Share and Follow
Home affairs minister Tony Burke has said the Australian government acted on its own intelligence assessments, as Israel’s intelligence agency named an alleged Iranian official behind antisemitic attacks in Australia.
Mossad and the office of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu released a statement on Monday AEDT, saying Sardar Amar, who they identified as a senior commander in Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), was the mastermind behind antisemitic attacks in Australia last year — via a network of recruited criminals and secret communications.
“Under Amar’s command, a significant mechanism was established to promote attacks against Israeli and Jewish targets both in Israel and abroad,” the statement read.
The statement shed further light on revelations from August that the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation (ASIO) had received “credible intelligence” on the involvement of the IRGC in two attacks described as antisemitic by authorities, on a kosher kitchen in Sydney and a synagogue in Melbourne.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said in a statement to SBS News that Iran’s behaviour was “disgraceful”, but stressed the Australian government made decisions “on the basis of intelligence assessments by our agencies”.
“Iran’s behaviour was disgraceful. That’s why we expelled the ambassador and are introducing legislation which would create the power to list organisations connected to a government as a terrorist organisation,” he said.

Mossad has accused Amar of orchestrating antisemitic attacks in Greece and Germany, using local networks to carry out operations that leave no trace of Iranian involvement.

Israel claims that Amar holds a senior position within the Quds Force, the secretive international wing of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

According to Israeli sources, revealing Amar’s identity and role marks a significant setback for Iran’s hidden agendas.

The Australian government is in the process of listing the IRGC as a terrorist organisation in Australia.
“Sardar” can be roughly translated to “leader” and is a common name in Iran. It is often used in the IRGC to denote a senior rank.
An organisational chart of alleged commanders of the Quds Force — the IRGC’s clandestine wing — published alongside Mossad’s statement, included an image of Amar.
Mossad accused the Quds Force of operating separately from the Iranian government to maintain “plausible deniability and separation between the violent activity and Iran”.

A statement declared, “Unveiling Sardar Amar’s tactics in the attempted attacks in Greece, Germany, and Australia highlights the failures within the operational mechanism and disrupts Iran’s efforts to conduct clandestine activities undetected.”

“We have acted because Iran has targeted Australians. This conclusion involves no other nation; it is solely an Iranian undertaking,” he stated at the time.

‘A forthright intervention’

David Mencer, an Israeli government spokesperson, addressed a press conference in August, claiming Australia’s decision was the result of Netanyahu’s “forthright intervention”.
“For the Australian government to take those threats seriously is a positive outcome, it is, of course, a matter for the Australian government the actions they take, but be in no doubt the government of Iran are a wholly negative influence on world affairs,” he said.
At the time, Burke dismissed claims Israel was “taking credit” for the intelligence, telling ABC Radio the idea was “complete nonsense”.

“We’ve taken this action because Iran has attacked Australians. No other country is involved in terms of that conclusion. That’s something Iran has done,” he said at the time.

A fence with flowers stuck to it, and a one storey building behind it that is damaged.

The Addass Israel Synagogue was firebombed in December 2024, one of two antisemitic attacks ASIO believed was linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. Source: AAP / Alexander Bogatyrev

Both antisemitic incidents took place in late 2024. The first was at Lewis’ Continental Kitchen in Sydney’s Bondi on 20 October, and the second was the firebombing of the Adass Israel Synagogue in Ripponlea, Melbourne, on 6 December.

In a press conference in August, ASIO director-general Mike Burgess described the planning of these attacks involving a “layer cake of cutouts” between the IRGC and the alleged payment of the perpetrators.
“The IRGC used a complex web of proxies to hide its involvement,” Burgess said.
“In between them, they tap into a number of people, agents of the IRGC and people they know in the criminal world, and work through there.”
The initial revelations marked the first time Australia had expelled an ambassador since World War Two. At the time, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson rejected the accusation and vowed to take “a reciprocal reaction”.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Heartfelt Tribute: Family Honors ‘Loyal Young Man’ After Tragic Stabbing of Teen

The grieving parents of a Sydney teenager, tragically killed in a park…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Australian Man Imprisoned for Setting Up Malicious WiFi Networks at Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for setting up fraudulent…

Breaking News: Critical Insights on the Airbus A320 Recall You Can’t Miss

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…

Olympia Cultivates Millions of Maggots in Australian Warehouses to Tap into $36 Billion Market Opportunity

With food waste driving a measurable share of Australia’s emissions, efforts to…
Donald Trump said Juan Orlando Hernandez was "treated very harshly and unfairly".

Trump’s Pardon Sparks Controversy: Honduran President’s Drug Trafficking Sentence Overturned

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is under pressure from the US to take an unfavourable peace deal with Russia.

Top Aide to Zelenskyy Steps Down Following Anti-Corruption Probe

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced Friday the resignation of his powerful chief…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Debunks Recent Alleged Sighting in Ongoing Search for Fugitive Cop Killer

Three months have passed since Desmond Freeman allegedly took the lives of…
Matildas star's secret heartbreak as teammates pay tribute during gutsy performance against New Zealand

Matildas Star’s Private Heartache Honored by Teammates in Determined Match Against New Zealand

Amidst a deeply personal tragedy, Matildas star Winonah Heatley joined her team’s…