Thomas Sewell arrest
Share and Follow

Police are fighting to keep a neo-Nazi group leader locked up, citing fears of escalating violence after he and his followers allegedly attacked an Aboriginal protest site.

White nationalist Thomas Sewell, 32, applied for bail at Melbourne Magistrates Court today after spending the night behind bars following his arrest outside the court.

He has been charged with 25 offences, including violent disorder and affray after being interviewed over the alleged attack on Camp Sovereignty at King’s Domain in the city centre on Sunday.

Thomas Sewell arrest
Thomas Sewell arrested and charged with 25 offences. (9News)

Prosecutor Jonathon McCarthy asked the magistrate to deny Sewell’s release on bail, arguing he posed an “unacceptable risk to society” because his violence had been increasing.

He was on bail when he allegedly committed the offences and police sought to revoke that conditional release.

Detective Senior Constable Saer Pascoe told the court it was concerning Sewell, as leader of neo-Nazi group the National Socialist Network, was allegedly encouraging others to commit violence.

“The applicant’s behaviour in recent times has been escalating in violence and concerning behaviour,” he said.

“He is their leader and has complete control. He has shown he has a large group of followers who will attack on instruction.”

Pascoe referred to Sewell becoming “erratic” after shouting and interrupting a press conference of Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan yesterday.

Sewell allegedly led a group of about 30 men dressed in black to storm the Indigenous camp on Sunday evening after attending an anti-immigration rally in the city centre.

“The applicant turned back to the National Socialist Network group and incites the group, by instructing them to charge towards Camp Sovereignty,” Pascoe said.

Thomas Sewell approaches the press conference behind Premier Jacinta Allan and MP Sheena Watts. (Supplied)

Members of the network held down occupants of the camp and began to kick them, he said.

The detective described Camp Sovereignty as “a First Nations refuge” and said another person was struck with a pole, kicked and punched by members of the network.

The incident injured three people, with the worst suffered by a woman who required staples in her scalp to close a wound, the court was told.

Nathan Bull, 23, and a 20-year-old from Ardeer have been charged with violent disorder, affray and other offences following the incident, but they were bailed by police last night.

Sewell had also been arrested and interviewed over an incident on August 9, for which he has been charged with assault and committing an offence while on bail, Pascoe said.

He and a large group of members from his group participated in a march through Melbourne’s city centre and then assaulted a man, the detective said.

Sewell’s lawyer, interstate solicitor Mathew Hopkins, appeared by video link to ask the magistrate to bail his client.

He claimed prosecutors were only using the August 9 incident to “bolster” their argument to deny bail and were intertwining their evidence with a “political attack” on his client.

Thomas Sewell has been charged over the alleged attack on Camp Sovereignty at King’s Domain. (Justin McManus)

In the earlier incident, Sewell was acting in self-defence as the other man had hit him first, Hopkins said.

Sewell never missed a court hearing, was committed to fighting all charges and he needed to be released to help his wife and children return from a holiday in Queensland, he said.

Magistrate Donna Bakos will hand down her bail decision on Friday afternoon.

Sewell appeared in another courtroom after his bail application for a contested hearing over intimidation offences, a matter that had been cut short because of his arrest yesterday afternoon.

Magistrate Michelle Hodgson said she was aware he was in custody but would like to continue the hearing, which began on Monday.

“I would like to continue,” Sewell said, representing himself.

Prosecutor Melissa Mahady said witnesses were on standby and agreed to proceed, with Sewell asking to get access to his legal documents.

For 24/7 crisis support run by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, contact 13YARN (13 92 76).

Share and Follow
You May Also Like

Australia Poised to Unlock Billions from Untapped Export Opportunities

When Eleanor Gray borrowed a Hello Kitty DVD from her local library…
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heroic Canberra Firefighters Rescue Abandoned Newborn at Station: Heartwarming Story of Quick Action

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…
Cricket star goes viral for hilarious celebrations after FINALLY scoring a maiden first class century

Cricket Star Gains Online Fame for Amusing Celebrations Following First-Class Century Achievement

<!– <!– <!– <!– New Zealand’s Ish Sodhi, traditionally known for his…

Breaking News: Critical Insights on the Airbus A320 Recall You Can’t Miss

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…

Australia Steps Up: Addressing Fiji’s Escalating HIV Crisis with Strategic Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…

Unraveling the Mystery: Why These Look-Alike Chinese Restaurants Are Baffling Locals

There’s nothing Australians love more than a succulent Chinese meal, as witnessed…

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese Ties the Knot with Jodie Haydon in Heartfelt Ceremony at The Lodge

Anthony Albanese has tied the knot with his fiancée Jodie Haydon at…
Teen stabbed after end-of-school party in Brisbane

Brisbane End-of-School Celebration Marred by Teen Stabbing Incident

A teenage boy found himself at the center of a frightening incident…