HomeAUAuthorities Identify Suspect in Case of Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont

Authorities Identify Suspect in Case of Missing 4-Year-Old Gus Lamont

Share and Follow


The disappearance of four-year-old Gus Lamont from a secluded sheep station in South Australia has been escalated to a “major crime,” with authorities identifying a potential suspect.

Gus was last seen at a remote family homestead, situated approximately 43 kilometers south of Yunta, on September 27.

Detective Superintendent Darren Fielke, leading the Major Crime Investigation Branch, officially classified the case as a “major crime” on Thursday.

Superintendent Fielke explained that the initial search efforts assumed Gus had wandered away from Oak Park Station and become lost. This scenario was one of three investigative paths pursued by Task Force Horizon officers.

The investigation also considers two additional theories: either Gus was abducted from Oak Park Station, or someone familiar to him may have been involved in his disappearance and presumed death.

Investigators have found no evidence to suggest the child was abducted, Fielke said.

Search warrant executed at Oak Park Station

Police executed a search warrant at Oak Park Station on 14 and 15 January, Fielke said.

Detectives seized a number of items, including a vehicle, a motorcycle and electronic devices for forensic examination.

A person who resides at the sheep station has withdrawn cooperation with the case and is considered a suspect, Fielke said.

Gus’ parents are not suspects in his disappearance, he said.

He said the search for Gus had been “unprecedented” and significant resources had been deployed.

Police said they conducted eight separate ground searches that extended to a radius of 5.47km from the homestead. The search area included three dams, which were drained. Police also searched six mine shafts within a 10km radius of the homestead.

Extensive aerial searches were also conducted.

Several locations around Oak Park Station were searched for Gus’ remains on Monday, police said.

“Despite these extraordinary efforts, all of the combined searches have found no evidence, physical or otherwise, to suggest Gus has wandered off,” Fielke said.

“I anticipate there will be further searches at Oak Park Station and at several sites on an adjacent national park to locate Gus as new information and intelligence comes to hand as the investigation continues,” Fielke said.

“I can reassure the community that despite the complex and challenging nature of the investigation, Task Force Horizon will continue to thoroughly and meticulously investigate the disappearance of Gus until we get a resolution.”


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow