Share and Follow

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has announced that the Afghan Embassy will shut its doors after June 30, 2026.
This decision follows reports from late last year indicating that Australia’s government had informed Ambassador Wahidullah Waissi that his diplomatic credentials would not be extended.
A joint statement from DFAT and the Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan emphasized that “the Australian government will not accept a diplomat, Honorary Consul, or any representative appointed by the Taliban.”
The statement further declared, “The Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan in Canberra, alongside the Australian Government, stands in solidarity with the Afghan people.”
“We do not acknowledge the Taliban as legitimate representatives of Afghanistan’s citizens. We vehemently denounce the Taliban’s ongoing systematic human rights violations, especially those targeting women, girls, and dissenting voices. Our commitment to human rights and the dignity of the Afghan people remains steadfast,” the statement concluded.
The diplomatic mission was operating as an embassy-in-exile following the Taliban’s takeover of Afghanistan 2021. It continued to issue official documents such as passports, visas and verifying IDs to the thousands of Afghan citizens living in Australia.
However its services haven’t been operating normally since the Taliban announced in July 2024 that it would no longer recognise consular documents issued by 14 embassies related to the former republic, including the Canberra facility.
Now that the closure of the embassy has been announced, it will leave many feeling vulnerable.
Embassy closure puts Afghans at risk, refugee council warns
The Refugee Council of Australia said in a letter to the Australian government last year the embassy has been crucial in providing consular and diplomatic support as well as essential documents such as passports and birth records needed for refugee protection claims and even routine activities like opening bank accounts.
It also served as a diplomatic, cultural and community bridge between Afghan Australians, civil society organisations, schools, universities, local, state and the Australian government.
“Closure of the embassy risks exposing people to danger. With Afghanistan under Taliban control, many Afghans fear that the loss of the Embassy may force them to seek documents directly from Taliban-run institutions,” the council said.
“There is also concern that the closure could be interpreted as a shift towards consular engagement with the Taliban. For many Afghans in Australia, this would place them in a fundamentally compromised situation, forced to seek assistance from the very repressive authorities of whom they have a well-founded fear.”
Neither the Australian government nor the embassy have outlined how Afghan citizens will receive essential consular services. Their statement said the embassy’s closure was not the preferred outcome however there would be an orderly and dignified transition “without prejudice to the Embassy’s or the Australian Government’s principled position on the situation in Afghanistan”.
The government said it would continue to respect and protect the premises of the embassy as well as any remaining property and archives after its closure, in accordance with international law.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.