Harvard Students Collaborate with Asylum Seekers for Course Credit Amid Criticisms of ‘Woke Activism

Harvard University has introduced a new course titled "Immigrant Justice Lab" this semester, allowing students to earn academic credits by engaging in research and...
HomeAUCourt Lifts Suppression Order on Identity of Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

Court Lifts Suppression Order on Identity of Alleged Invasion Day Bomber

Share and Follow


A Perth magistrate has ruled that the man accused of hurling an explosive device into a First Nations rally must have his identity disclosed.

32-year-old Liam Alexander Hall faces multiple charges in connection with the alleged incident on January 26, which occurred during an Invasion Day demonstration.

Hall has been accused of creating or possessing an explosive device and carrying out an act with the intent to cause harm immediately following the event.

Following public uproar and a thorough investigation by a combined task force, Hall became the first person in the state’s history to face charges related to terrorism.

Initially, his identity was kept confidential after his first appearance in the Perth Magistrate’s Court last month due to concerns for his safety.

However magistrate Lynette Dias argued the continued suppression of Hall’s name would pervert the administration of justice.

“Public interest will generally prevail over the adverse personal consequences to litigants and to those associated with them,” she said on Tuesday.

“Media should be able to report on any matter that appears before the court, generally speaking, to provide a fair and accurate report.”

Hall was due to appear in court, however his case was adjourned until next month.

More than 2000 people had gathered in Boorloo Perth’s CBD on January 26 for the annual Invasion Day rally.

Police allege Hall tossed a small glass device, containing volatile liquids and shrapnel, into the middle of the crowd, where organisers say Elders, children and mobility-challenged people had gathered.

Speaking on Tuesday morning about the attempted bombing, the prime minister Anthony Albanese said the idea of a racially motivated attack was “frightening”.

“The alleged perpetrator allegedly threw this device into a crowd,” he told the ABC.

“It would have injured and killed many people had it exploded.”

Mr Albanese noted the increased calls to Indigenous helpline 13YARN, and flagged an increase in funding announced last week.

“We set up the system so that people could get the mental health support.

“I encourage people to reach out.”

Share and Follow