HomeAUCybercrime Unit Conducts Raid on French Offices of Elon Musk's X Platform

Cybercrime Unit Conducts Raid on French Offices of Elon Musk’s X Platform

Share and Follow
A search was being carried out at the French offices of Elon Musk‘s social media platform X as part of an investigation opened in January 2025, the Paris prosecutor’s office said on Tuesday.

The cybercrime unit of the prosecutor’s office is actively conducting a raid, as confirmed in an official statement, with the assistance of Europol.

Both Elon Musk, the chairman of X, and former X CEO Linda Yaccarino have been summoned to attend hearings scheduled for April. Additionally, X employees are expected to be questioned as witnesses, according to information from the Paris prosecutor’s office.

A Paris prosecutor said the investigation, opened in January 2025, was broadened to include “Grok’s sexualised deepfakes”. (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images via CNN Newsource)

CNN has reached out to X for a statement regarding the situation.

Paris prosecutor Laure Beccuau revealed that the French investigation, which originally targeted potential misuse of algorithms, has now expanded to scrutinize “Grok’s sexualized deepfakes.”

In the preceding week, the European Commission initiated an inquiry into X’s artificial intelligence chatbot Grok, following concerns about its capacity to produce sexually explicit images.

Scrutiny of that function came to a head late last year, when it emerged that the chatbot had produced a flood of digitally undressed images – including of women and children – at the behest of users.

The social media behemoth has since stopped all Grok users from creating images of people in revealing clothing.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow