Share and Follow

A worshipper at a Shi’a mosque in Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan, recounted the moment a devastating suicide bombing claimed numerous lives during Friday prayers. The explosion was described as “extremely powerful” and shook the building shortly after the service began.
Muhammad Kazim, aged 52, had arrived at the Imam Bargah Qasr-e-Khadijatul Kubra mosque around 1pm local time (7pm AEDT) on Friday. He positioned himself about seven or eight rows back from the imam as the prayers commenced.
Speaking outside the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) hospital, where many of the injured were taken, Kazim shared his experience with AFP. “We heard gunfire during the initial bow of the Namaz (prayer ritual),” he recounted.
“As we remained in the bowing posture, the explosion occurred,” he added.
Kazim, who hails from Gilgit-Baltistan in northern Pakistan and resides in Islamabad, managed to escape unscathed. However, he accompanied a friend who was injured to PIMS hospital for medical attention.
“It was unclear whether it was a suicide bombing, but the explosion was extremely powerful and caused numerous casualties,” Kazim said.
“Debris fell from the roof, and windows were shattered,” he added. “When I got outside, many bodies were scattered … Many people lost their lives.”
The so-called Islamic State (IS) group has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to the SITE Intelligence Group, which monitors jihadist communications.
Dozens killed, over 150 injured
Another worshipper, Imran Mahmood, described a gunfight between the suicide bomber, a possible accomplice and volunteer security personnel at the mosque.
“The suicide attacker was trying to move forward, but one of our injured volunteers fired at him from behind, hitting him in the thigh,” Mahmood, in his fifties, told Agence France-Presse.
“He fell but got up again. Another man accompanying him opened fire on our volunteers,” he said, adding the attacker “then jumped onto the gate and detonated the explosives”.
As of Sunday morning, the death toll stood at 32, with at least 170 wounded. The death toll was expected to rise.
The attack was the deadliest in the Pakistani capital since September 2008, when 60 people were killed in a suicide truck bomb blast that destroyed part of the five-star Marriott hotel.
Pakistan’s minister of interior Mohsin Naqvi said overnight that authorities had arrested four people believed to have helped the suicide bomber.
Naqvi said in a press conference, that the four people, including the believed mastermind, had been arrested following raids in Peshawar and Nowshera.
‘Never seen proper security’
Describing the aftermath of the attack, Kazim said unhurt worshippers went to the aid of those wounded.
“People tried to help on their own, carrying two or three bodies in the trunks of their vehicles, while ambulances arrived about 20 to 25 minutes later,” he told AFP.
“No-one was allowed near the mosque afterwards.”
Kazim, who has performed Friday prayers at the mosque “for the past three to four weeks”, said security had been lax.
“I have never seen proper security in place,” he said.
“Volunteers manage security on their own, but they lack the necessary equipment to do it effectively.
“Shi’a mosques are always under threat, and the government should take this seriously and provide adequate security.”
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.