ICE Arrests Suspect in Liberty Island Boat Capsizing Incident

Woman, baby dead after boat overturns in NY harbor A tragic incident unfolded near Liberty Island in New York Harbor, where a 22-foot boat capsized,...
HomeAUFederal Firearms Buyback: ACT Joins National Program

Federal Firearms Buyback: ACT Joins National Program

Federal Firearms Buyback: ACT Joins National Program

The Australian Capital Territory (ACT) has joined forces with the national government in a new gun buyback initiative.

Following the tragic Bondi mass shooting in December, the federal government introduced this scheme to reduce the number of firearms in circulation. The ACT recently sealed an agreement to participate in this gun control effort.

New South Wales (NSW) initially led the charge by joining the program last Sunday, marking the ACT as the second jurisdiction to come on board.

Estimates suggest that around 14 percent of the 7,000 licensed firearm owners in the ACT might be impacted by the proposed limitations on gun ownership.

Currently, the nation’s capital accounts for a total of 23,000 registered firearms.

Under the scheme, 75 per cent of the cost of compensation to firearm holders, administration and gun destruction will be paid for by the federal government.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the government would work closely with the ACT to keep more guns off the streets.

“We’re taking action to strengthen Australia’s gun laws and keep our communities safe,” he said in a statement.

“National gun reform is an important part of making sure an anti-Semitic terrorist attack like we saw at Bondi can’t happen again.”

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr said while the majority of gun owners were responsible, further safety measures were needed.

“The buyback scheme will provide compensation while helping deliver further community safety outcomes,” he said.

“The ACT has some of the strongest firearms laws in the country, and this agreement supports our ongoing efforts to further reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands.”

National cabinet agreed to strengthen firearm restrictions across Australia following the Bondi attack, where 15 people died after two gunmen opened fire at a Hanukkah festival.

But the scheme faces opposition from some jurisdictions, with conservative governments in the Northern Territory, Tasmania and Queensland declining to sign up.

Western Australia had already operated its own gun buyback and does not have plans to be part of a second one linked to the federal government.