Share and Follow
Nauru has accepted the first cohort of deportees from Australia, including members of the NZYQ group, which had visas cancelled on character grounds.
In August, Australia committed to an upfront payment of $408 million to resettle the non-citizens in Nauru, and is expected to spend $2.5 billion over the 30-year lifetime of the deal.
On Friday, Nauru President David Adeang told his parliament the first person had arrived under the deal struck with the Albanese government eight months ago.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke confirmed the arrival but did not specify how many people were on the first transfer.
“Nauru confirmed last Friday that the first transfer has occurred,” Burke said in a statement on Tuesday.

“When an individual’s visa is revoked, departure is expected,” authorities assert.

It is understood Nauru initially suggested the deal to the Albanese government as a solution to the NZYQ cohort saga.
As of 12 May 2025, at least 303 former NZYQ detainees have been released into the Australian community since the ruling, according to the Department of Home Affairs.

Several individuals have faced convictions for grave offenses, which resulted in strict curfews and surveillance post-release. Consequently, their visas were annulled due to character assessment guidelines.

A government source has told SBS News that around 280 members of the NZYQ cohort are to be granted visas in Nauru and will live among the local population of around 12,000 people and would not be going into detention.
Last year, the government bolstered its powers to deport members of the group to third countries under new migration laws.

“Irrespective of one’s identity or birthplace, governments should not wield the power to make someone vanish or force them to a nation with which they have no ties,” stated Shoebridge.

The Greens and refugee advocates have criticised the secrecy of the deportation plan, arguing it goes against Australia’s human rights obligations.
Greens immigration spokesperson David Shoebridge expressed concern that once they arrived in Nauru, members of the group could be deported to their home countries against their will, potentially facing persecution or harm.

David Shoebridge, the Greens’ immigration spokesperson, has raised concerns about the deportation policy, suggesting that those sent to Nauru could ultimately be repatriated to their countries of origin. Source: AAP / Mick Tsikas

A man in a grey suit and glasses is speaking.

“Labor has been behind the most extreme policies in our immigration system in recent history — mandatory detention, offshore detention, a Trump-style travel ban and now this.”

He said, “people are secretly being sent to Nauru, with key aspects of the deal still kept from the Australian public”, condemning the lack of transparency and “contemptuous silence” from Minister Burke.
The criticisms over secrecy have been echoed by Laura John, associate legal director at the Human Rights Law Centre.

“The Albanese Government’s mass deportation plans have been shrouded in secrecy from the outset,” she told SBS News.

“We do not know if the person who has been exiled has left family behind in Australia, whether they need medical care that is unavailable in Nauru, or even if they still had visa appeal options in Australia.  
“This secrecy is not an accident. It is a deliberate tool wielded by the Albanese government to ensure that it does not have to grapple with the real, human consequences of its actions.”
She said this was a “new low” in the treatment of refugees and would ultimately leave a legacy “sowing fear and division against migrant and refugee communities”.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like

Stalled Reforms Spark Criticism: Government Faces Backlash Over Lack of Progress

The government is facing pressure to axe “dangerous” reforms to Australia’s freedom…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Australian Man Imprisoned for Setting Up Malicious WiFi Networks at Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for setting up fraudulent…

Australia Steps Up: Addressing Fiji’s Escalating HIV Crisis with Strategic Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Escalating Tensions: What It Means for Global Politics

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Incredible Survivor Tale Emerges from Devastating Hong Kong Blaze: A Story of Resilience and Hope

Just past 3 p.m., William Li received an unexpected call from his…
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Occupants from Burning Home

An Uber driver became an unexpected hero when he abruptly stopped mid-ride…
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face Further Delays as Airlines Rush to Address Airbus Aircraft Issues

The recent wave of flight cancellations stems from an extensive recall of…
Teen stabbed after end-of-school party in Brisbane

Brisbane End-of-School Celebration Marred by Teen Stabbing Incident

A teenage boy found himself at the center of a frightening incident…