Man Allegedly Shoots Girlfriend During Car Dispute, Citing ‘Accident’ Amid Heated Argument, Police Report

Background: News footage of Red Arrow Park in Marinette, Wis. (WISN). Inset (left): Gabriella Cartagena (Marinette Police Department). Inset (right): Robert Chilcote (Wright County...
HomeAUFormer NRL player feels relieved after authorities drop charges related to possession...

Former NRL player feels relieved after authorities drop charges related to possession of marijuana and stolen money

Share and Follow

A feted former NRL speedster has been cleared of possessing drugs and suspected stolen cash after police withdrew the charges against him at the last minute.

James Roberts, 32, who played more than 160 NRL games for five clubs during his career, pleaded not guilty to possessing a prohibited drug and suspected stolen goods.

Police allege he had 0.3 grams of cannabis and $1400 in suspected stolen cash when he was pulled over on the morning of July 30, 2024.

James Roberts pleaded not guilty to possessing a prohibited drug and suspected stolen goods. (NRL Imagery)

But the charges against the 2015 Dally M centre of the year were withdrawn by police at a court hearing where he was scheduled to contest them this morning.

Outside court, his lawyer Najee Makhoul said there had been no evidence to link the former NRL player to the offences.

Police assumed Roberts’ wad of cash was illegally obtained, but that was “just not the case at all”, Makhoul said.

The retired footballer received cash payments for NRL outings and appearances, and might withdraw funds from his bank, his lawyer said.

“That was the case here, and was just a wrong charge laid for the wrong reasons, and unfortunately he faced the consequences as a result,” Makhoul said.

The small amount of cannabis likewise couldn’t be linked to Roberts because it had been found in his passenger’s bag.

James Roberts on the attack for Wests Tigers.
The charges against James Roberts were withdrawn by police at a court hearing. (Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Roberts, who did not appear in court today, is looking forward to putting the ordeal behind him, Makhoul said.

“It’s a very fortunate outcome,” he said.

“(Roberts) is relieved, relieved for it to be done. He wants to continue with his life and move on.”

Nicknamed “Jimmy the Jet” for his speed, Roberts played for the Wests Tigers, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Penrith Panthers, Gold Coast Titans and Brisbane Broncos across 12 seasons in the NRL.

He appeared in all three games for NSW in the team’s successful 2018 State of Origin campaign and played for the Indigenous All Stars and City Origin before retiring in 2022.

Share and Follow