North West, 12, Leads Glamorous Valentine’s Day Shopping Spree at Alexander Wang in NYC

A delightful day of fun and fashion unfolded in New York City as North West, the 12-year-old daughter of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West,...
HomeAUFriends of Shark Attack Victim Brave the Water to Overcome Fear

Friends of Shark Attack Victim Brave the Water to Overcome Fear

Share and Follow

Friends of the man killed in a shark attack on Sydney’s Northern Beaches last Saturday have returned to the scene a week on, to conquer their fears.

He had been out for a morning surf with several of his mates, who had tried to save him.

Friends of the man killed in a shark attack in Sydney's Northern Beaches last week have returned to the scene to conquer their fear.
Friends of the man killed in a shark attack on Sydney’s Northern Beaches last Saturday have returned to the scene a week on, to conquer their fears. (Nine)

A week after his September 6 death, his friends were back in the water to honour the 57-year-old.

Psillakis’ sister was among those visiting today, while friend Toby Martin admitted to feeling scared to return.

“But I think we’ve got to lean into the fear,” he told 9News.

“To confront what’s been presented to us in a place we go everyday. That’s what he would have wanted. That’s what we want for our community.” 

A memorial has been set up on the beach, offering a place for healing for the community.

Mercury Psillakis and his wife Maria
Mercury Psillakis (left) died after suffering catastrophic injuries from what authorities believe to be a great white shark (Nine)

Local receivers today pinged for sharks around Avalon and Palm Beach.

The state had planned to remove shark nets at three spots in the Northern Beaches — which covers Dee Why — Waverley and Central Coast councils this summer to trial the effectiveness.

Premier Chris Minns had said he would pause the trial until the Department of Primary Industries handed down its report on the shark attack, but days later, Agriculture Minister Tara Moriarty confirmed the trial would be scrapped ahead of the report.

Friends of the man killed in a shark attack in Sydney's Northern Beaches last week have returned to the scene to conquer their fear.
A memorial has been set up on the beach, offering a place for healing for the community. (Nine)

Shark nets were reinstalled at 51 beaches from Newcastle to Wollongong on September 1.

Dee Why beaches have 150-metre-long, six-metre-deep shark nets installed about 500 metres from the shore.

Authorities have installed additional drumlines between Long Reef and Dee Why.

Share and Follow