HomeAUHamas releases four Israeli women captives before freeing 200 Palestinian prisoners

Hamas releases four Israeli women captives before freeing 200 Palestinian prisoners

Share and Follow


The Palestinian militant movement Hamas released four female Israeli soldier hostages on Saturday, in return for some 200 Palestinian prisoners, in keeping with a ceasefire agreement aimed at ending the 15-month-old war in Gaza.
The four were led onto a podium in Gaza City amid a large crowd of Palestinians and surrounded by dozens of armed Hamas men. They waved and smiled before being led off, entering ICRC vehicles and being transported to Israeli forces.
The soldiers — Karina Ariev, Daniella Gilboa, Naama Levy and Liri Albag — were all stationed at an observation post on the edge of Gaza and abducted by Hamas fighters who overran their base during the Hamas attack on Israel on 7 October 2023.

Their parents clapped and cried out in joy when they saw them on screen, watching the handover live from a nearby military base across the border. In Tel Aviv, hundreds of Israelis gathered at the so-called Hostages Square, crying, embracing and cheering as it was aired on a giant screen.

They were reunited with their family soon after, according to the military and will be taken to a hospital in central Israel, the Israeli Health Ministry said.
The joy in Israel was clouded by disappointment after a female civilian hostage who was expected to be freed on Saturday, was not. An Israeli military spokesman said it was a breach of the truce, while Hamas said it was a technical issue.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Palestinians in Gaza will not be allowed to cross back to the northern part of the territory until the issue is resolved.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians had been displaced from northern Gaza during the war.

A Palestinian official told Reuters that the mediators were working on resolving the matter.

200 Palestinian prisoners to be freed

Hamas said 200 prisoners will be freed on Saturday as part of the exchange. They include convicted militants serving life sentences for their involvement in attacks that killed dozens of people. Around 70 are set to be deported, Hamas said.
Saturday’s planned exchange will be the second since a ceasefire began on 19 January and
The ceasefire agreement, , has halted the fighting for the first time since a truce that lasted just a week in November 2023.

In the first six-week phase of the deal, Hamas has agreed to release 33 hostages, including children, women, older men and the sick and injured, in exchange for hundreds of Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails, while Israeli troops pull back from some of their positions in the Gaza Strip.

In a subsequent phase, the two sides would negotiate the exchange of the remaining hostages, including men of military age, and the withdrawal of Israeli forces from Gaza, which lies largely in ruins after 15 months of fighting and bombardment.
After Saturday’s release, 90 hostages remain in Gaza, according to Israeli authorities, who have declared around a third of them dead in absentia.

Israel has bombarded Gaza since Hamas’ October 7 attack in which more than 1,200 people, including an estimated 30 children, were killed and over 250 hostages taken, according to the Israeli government.

More than 46,000 people have been killed in Gaza since October 7, according to the health ministry in Gaza.
The in the long-standing conflict between Israel and Hamas.
Israel has lost more than 400 soldiers in Gaza combat. Hamas has not revealed how many fighters it has lost.

Israeli authorities have said that more than a third of Gaza’s death toll is militants.

Share and Follow