An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,
Share and Follow

The recent devastating fire in Hong Kong, the deadliest in decades, has sparked critical discussions regarding potential corruption and negligence tied to the renovations of an apartment complex where at least 128 individuals lost their lives.

The blaze erupted with ferocity on a Wednesday afternoon at the Wang Fuk Court complex, situated in the northern suburbs of Hong Kong. The inferno engulfed seven out of the eight towers, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.

Housing approximately 4,800 residents, the complex had been a subject of concern for some time. Many of the inhabitants had voiced their worries over safety issues related to the renovations more than a year prior to the tragic event.

An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories, (AP)

In response to the catastrophe, authorities arrested three men connected to a construction company on charges of manslaughter and gross negligence. Initially released on bail, these individuals were subsequently taken into custody by the Independent Commission Against Corruption. This action, announced on Saturday night, underscores their pivotal role in overseeing the renovations at the complex.

They were released on bail but then arrested by the Independent Commission Against Corruption, the authority said on Saturday night, pointing to their leadership role in the renovations.

ICAC had also previously arrested seven men and one woman associated with the project.

Police have not identified the company where the suspects worked, but documents posted to the homeowners association’s website showed that the Prestige Construction & Engineering Company was in charge of renovations.

Police have seized boxes of documents from the company, where phones rang unanswered on Thursday.

Officials also said they were investigating the materials used, both the netting on the scaffolding and the foam panels covering windows, and their role in the blaze.

Soft toys and flowers are placed to mourn victims of the deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court.
Soft toys and flowers are placed to mourn victims of the deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court. (AP)

Residents found safety issues a year before fire

For almost a year, some residents at the Wang Fuk Court complex had been raising safety concerns to Hong Kong authorities about the scaffolding materials being used in the renovation project, according to documents reviewed by the AP, specifically about the netting that covered the scaffolding.

Hong Kong’s labor department in a statement on Saturday confirmed it had received such complaints, adding that officials had carried out 16 inspections of Wang Fuk Court’s renovation project since July 2024, and had warned contractors multiple times in writing that they must ensure they met fire safety requirements.

The city even carried out an inspection as late as one week before the fire.

The labor department said it had reviewed the product quality certificate of the netting and that it was in line with standards, but that the safety netting had not been the previous target of inspections.

Preliminary investigations showed the fire started on a lower-level scaffolding net of one of the buildings.

Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire in Hong Kong's New Territories.
Firefighters walk through the burned buildings after the deadly fire in Hong Kong’s New Territories. (AP)

It then spread rapidly as the foam panels caught fire, said Chris Tang, the city’s secretary for security.

Police also said they had been looking at the highly flammable foam panels.

“The blaze ignited the foam panels, causing the glass to shatter and leading to a swift intensification of the fire and its spread into the interior spaces,” Tang said.

The labor department said later on Saturday that three prosecutions were brought against the company over breaches of safety regulations for working at height in the construction and convictions in two of the cases resulted in fines of totaling 30,000 Hong Kong dollars ($5800).

The company also was fined three times in 2023 for separate violations unrelated to the Tai Po project.

First responders also found that some fire alarms in the complex, which housed many older people, did not sound when tested, said Andy Yeung, the director of Hong Kong Fire Services. He did not specify how many were not working or if any of the others were.

Intense blaze took days to put out

It took firefighters a day to bring the fire under control, and it was not fully extinguished until Friday morning — some 40 hours after it started.

Crews prioritized apartments from which they had received emergency calls during the blaze but were unable to reach in the hours that the fire burned out of control, Derek Armstrong Chan, a deputy director of Hong Kong Fire Services, told reporters.

Twelve firefighters were among the 79 people injured in the blaze, and one firefighter was killed.

Even two days after the fire began, smoke continued to drift out of the charred skeletons of the buildings from the occasional flare-up.

While more bodies might be recovered, authorities said, crews have finished their search for anyone living trapped inside.

Authorities said on Saturday they need to identify 44 more bodies out of the 128 recovered. About 150 people remain unaccounted for.

The dead included two Indonesian migrant workers, the Indonesian foreign ministry said Thursday.

A woman prays after placing flowers near the site of the deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories.
A woman prays after placing flowers near the site of the deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong’s New Territories. (AP)

About 11 other migrants from the country who were working as domestic helpers in the apartment complex remain missing, Indonesian Consul General Yul Edison said on Friday.

Near the site of the fire, Sara Yu held the hand of her two-year-old son, Dominic, as they each placed a single white rose into a growing cluster of the flowers in a small children’s playground.

“I brought the kids here because I want them to understand that living in this world is something to be cherished,” she said, holding back tears.

Fierce blaze marks the end of ‘cursed’ cruise ship

Outside a building close to the scene of the fire where family members came to identify loved ones from photographs, people placed bouquets of white roses, lilies and carnations.

“More than 128 innocent lives, what did they do wrong?” asked a sign placed among the flowers.

The city lowered flags to half staff in mourning, and Chief Executive John Lee, led a three-minute silence on Saturday from the government headquarters with officials all dressed in black.

The fire was the deadliest in Hong Kong in decades. A 1996 fire in a commercial building in Kowloon killed 41 people.

A warehouse fire in 1948 killed 176 people, according to the South China Morning Post.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
ACT Policing is urging the mother of the newborn baby to seek medical attention.

Heroic Canberra Firefighters Rescue Abandoned Newborn at Station: Heartwarming Story of Quick Action

Police are looking for dashcam footage after a a newborn baby was…

Breaking News: Critical Insights on the Airbus A320 Recall You Can’t Miss

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…
FILE - In this Sept. 4, 2012 file photo, British playwright Tom Stoppard poses as he arrives for the world premiere of "Anna Karenina," in London. Stoppard died at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright’s Legacy Lives On: Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his imaginative and insightful plays,…
Large crowds are expected for the line's opening of the Melbopurne Metro Tunnel extension.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Launch: A New Era of Seamless City Commutes Begins

This morning marks a significant milestone for Melbourne as the much-anticipated Metro…
Cricket star goes viral for hilarious celebrations after FINALLY scoring a maiden first class century

Cricket Star Gains Online Fame for Amusing Celebrations Following First-Class Century Achievement

<!– <!– <!– <!– New Zealand’s Ish Sodhi, traditionally known for his…
A man wades through a flooded road carrying a cat in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov, 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

Catastrophic Sri Lanka Floods and Mudslides Claim 132 Lives: Latest Updates and Safety Measures

The devastation wrought by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka has claimed the…
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Incredible Survivor Tale Emerges from Devastating Hong Kong Blaze: A Story of Resilience and Hope

Just past 3 p.m., William Li received an unexpected call from his…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Debunks Recent Alleged Sighting in Ongoing Search for Fugitive Cop Killer

Three months have passed since Desmond Freeman allegedly took the lives of…