HomeAUMan Avoids Jail Time After Threatening Prime Minister: The Shocking Details

Man Avoids Jail Time After Threatening Prime Minister: The Shocking Details

Share and Follow
A man who issued a slur-laden death threat to the prime minister and his wife during a months-long social media tirade has been spared jail.
Alexander Phillip David Keating, 37, was today convicted in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court of using social media platform X to menace, harass and offend.
He posted 45 menacing messages between February and April last year, many of which called for violence against Muslims, queer people or politicians.
Downing Centre.
Keating was convicted in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court of using X to menace, harass and offend. (Edwina Pickles)

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was among those targeted by what the magistrate, Theo Tsavdaridis, described as “abhorrent” threats.

The court heard that Keating had posted a death threat aimed at the prime minister and his wife, which included a graphic slur.

The magistrate emphasized that these social media posts were a “serious affront” to the principles upheld by a civilized society.

“Hatred of this magnitude has no place in a nation like ours,” he stated.

“The posts advocated sexual violence, killing and physical annihilation on the basis of race, religion and the colour of their skin.”
Keating had stopped taking medication for his mental health issues in the lead-up to writing the posts, Tsavdaridis noted.
He was also self-medicating with cannabis daily at the time.

According to the agreed facts, the 37-year-old had grown frustrated with government policies and what he perceived as the rise of “wokeness” and “communism” beginning in late 2024.

He felt he was unable to have an opinion on political issues.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese at a Labor caucus meeting at Parliament House in Canberra on Friday 9 May 2025.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese was one of the targets of the “abhorrent” threats. (Alex Ellinghausen)

“One can express political opinions without resorting to calls for murder,” Tsavdaridis said.

Because Keating only had six followers on X, his lawyer argued there was no evidence anyone had seen the posts to be offended by them.

But Tsavdaridis said Keating’s account was public, so anyone using the site could theoretically have found the posts.

The magistrate stressed the need for deterrence of similar racially motivated crimes after the Bondi Beach terror attack in December.

“Any gains we have painstakingly made as a multicultural society over many years can very quickly be cast into oblivion,” he said.

“The law has always drawn a clear boundary between robust discourse and the incitement of violence.”

He ordered Keating to serve a two-year community corrections order and undergo constant mental health treatment.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow