HomeAUNSW Police Empowered with New Authority for Israeli President's Visit: What It...

NSW Police Empowered with New Authority for Israeli President’s Visit: What It Means for Security

Share and Follow
NSW Premier Chris Minns this morning called for calm and respect ahead of the visit on Monday, explaining the government has declared it a major event under the state’s Major Events Act due to the “number of spectators, potential risks to community safety, and the impact of potential protest activity”.
“This will grant police additional powers, including closing off or restricting access to major event areas,” he said.
NSW Premier Chris Minns.
Minns said the arrival of Herzog is “an important visit for our country”. (Nine)

“We believe that this declaration is necessary to ensure the visit proceeds in a manner that prioritizes public safety,” authorities have stated, emphasizing their commitment to maintaining order.

Non-compliance with legal police instructions during this period could lead to fines of up to $5,500 or even being barred from the designated event area. This measure underscores the seriousness with which security forces are approaching the event.

However, it’s important to note that this declaration does not equate to a prohibition on protests or marches. Law enforcement remains aware of the demonstrations planned to oppose the visit of the controversial president.

In anticipation of these marches, police have announced that a force of 3,500 officers will be strategically positioned across the city during Herzog’s three-day visit.

“It’s a significant policing presence, there’s no doubt about it,” NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said.

“This is not business as usual,” authorities remarked, highlighting the extraordinary nature of the security preparations in place for this high-profile visit.

“Having a head of state in NSW is something significant.”

The Palestine Action Group has said that up to 5000 people will march from Town Hall to State Parliament to oppose the visit of the Israeli President.
Demonstrators during a Pro Palestine rally organised by the Palestinian Action Group Sydney held at Hyde Park in Sydney on October 6, 2024. Photo: Dominic Lorrimer
Demonstrators during a Pro Palestine rally organised by the Palestinian Action Group. (Dominic Lorrimer)
The government has emphasised that the major event declaration is being imposed to prevent the clash of mourners and protesters. 
“This is about keeping people safe, lowering the temperature and ensuring Sydney remains calm and orderly,” Minns said.
The Albanese government invited the Israeli president to Australia to mourn with the Jewish community following December’s terror attack in Bondi.
The NSW Police Commissioner announced earlier this week the extension of the Public Assembly Restriction Declaration (PARD) for certain parts of Sydney for the next two weeks.
The declaration means public assemblies will be restricted in Sydney’s eastern suburbs and parts of Sydney’s CBD, excluding Hyde Park.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon.
NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon announced the extension of the Public Assembly Restriction Declaration for the next two weeks. (Nine)

Form 1 applications for the approval of public assemblies will also not be accepted in certain areas.

Despite Monday’s planned protest falling within the restricted zone, members of the legislative councils have asked police to have their form 1 application granted. 

“We remind you that the United Nations Special Commission of Inquiry has found that Isaac Herzog is guilty of direct and public incitement to commit genocide under article III(c) of the Genocide Convention,” the statement reads.

“We urge you to grant this request and work with the organisers to ensure that this assembly and march event can go ahead.”

“We are gravely concerned about the report that you intend to employ some 500 police officers to the protest event and the report of Acting Assistant Commissioner Paul Dunstan threatening to arrest people who wish to march on the planned route.”

The government is also urging people to avoid the city during peak periods on Monday afternoon and evening due to the expected congestion.

“If you don’t need to be in Sydney CBD on Monday afternoon, unless it’s absolutely essential, we ask that you not stick around in that area,” Minns said.

“We know that’s an inconvenience for some people, but there’ll be an enormous number of NSW Police.”

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow