Optus CEO Stephen Rue
Share and Follow

Optus did not escalate at least five calls that were made to its customer service centre, including two from NSW, that informed the telecommunications company that a technical error was preventing customers from calling triple zero.

CEO Stephen Rue this afternoon confirmed that Optus had found a further three calls, additional to the two announced yesterday, where customers had complained that they could not call triple zero.

Rue said the calls were not adequately escalated within Optus’ system, meaning the telco was unaware of a major systemic failure until after 13 hours.

Optus CEO Stephen Rue
CEO Stephen Rue this afternoon confirmed that Optus had found a further three calls, additional to the two announced yesterday, where customers had complained that they could not call triple zero. (Nine)

The inability to call triple zero affected South Australia, Western Australia and the Northern Territory between 12.30am and 1.30pm on Thursday.

A total of three deaths have thus far linked to the outage.

A fourth, the death of of an eight-month-old baby boy in Adelaide’s north, was originally linked but South Australian police have said they believe the outage is unlikely to have contributed to the infant’s death.

Today Rue said two of the calls to Optus customer service complaining of the outage came from New South Wales – although this is likely because they were situated near the South Australian border and their calls likely connected to South Australian towers.

He said welfare checks had been conducted, and that no serious injury or death had been reported as a result of the two calls in New South Wales.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Incredible Survivor Tale Emerges from Devastating Hong Kong Blaze: A Story of Resilience and Hope

Just past 3 p.m., William Li received an unexpected call from his…
Teen stabbed after end-of-school party in Brisbane

Brisbane End-of-School Celebration Marred by Teen Stabbing Incident

A teenage boy found himself at the center of a frightening incident…

Australia Steps Up: Addressing Fiji’s Escalating HIV Crisis with Strategic Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…

El Jannah’s Journey: From Family-Run Chicken Spot to International Phenomenon

Beloved restaurant chain El Jannah began modestly in 1998, when Lebanese immigrants…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Escalating Tensions: What It Means for Global Politics

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…
FILE - In this Sept. 4, 2012 file photo, British playwright Tom Stoppard poses as he arrives for the world premiere of "Anna Karenina," in London. Stoppard died at the age of 88

Renowned British Playwright’s Legacy Lives On: Passes Away at 88

Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his imaginative and insightful plays,…
Large crowds are expected for the line's opening of the Melbopurne Metro Tunnel extension.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Launch: A New Era of Seamless City Commutes Begins

This morning marks a significant milestone for Melbourne as the much-anticipated Metro…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle: Climate Change Protest Sparks Major Crackdown

Authorities have detained numerous climate change activists following ongoing protests at the…