Share and Follow
Controversial measures limiting protests will continue as law enforcement pledges to utilize all available resources to manage demonstrations against the Israeli president’s visit.
With nationwide protests planned in response to Isaac Herzog’s official visit, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon emphasized that community safety remains his primary concern, prompting him to extend restrictions on demonstrations in Sydney.
The commissioner announced that the areas covered by the Public Assembly Restriction Declaration would remain unchanged. This includes parts of Sydney, spanning from the inner-west to the CBD and inner eastern suburbs, although Hyde Park in the city is not included.
Lanyon received authorization to restrict moving protests for up to three months following the tragic December 14 Bondi Beach attack, in which 15 individuals were killed by two gunmen inspired by Islamic State.
“While we are committed to upholding free speech, it is crucial to balance that with ensuring the community’s safety,” he stated to reporters on Tuesday.
“I know that there is significant animosity about president Herzog’s visit — I have to balance that.”
Under the restrictions, new applications for public gatherings to be authorised will not be accepted for the designated areas. Gatherings are still permitted, but police may issue move-on directions.
Police also have the authority to require people suspected of committing offences to remove any face coverings.
Mixed reaction to Herzog’s visit
Herzog’s contentious four-day Australian tour is due to begin on 9 February following an invitation from Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to show solidarity with the Jewish community after the Bondi massacre.

Joined by the World Zionist Organisation chairman Yaakov Hagoel, the Israeli president will meet with senior Jewish leaders and bereaved families of the terror attack, as well as political leaders and media.
The visit was “not only appropriate, but an essential part of the healing process”, the Australia/Israel and Jewish Affairs Council said.
The Jewish Council of Australia, a progressive group formed in 2024 to represent non-Zionist Jews in Australia and is critical of Israel’s actions in Gaza, last week called for Herzog’s invitation to be rescinded.
Herzog’s visit has also been lambasted by pro-Palestinian activists over his past comments suggesting Palestinians bore collective blame for Hamas’s terror attack in Israel on October 7, 2023.
Several religious and legal groups have written to the Australian Federal Police and Attorney-General Michelle Rowland asking for a criminal investigation to be launched into his rhetoric, which has been cited in an International Court of Justice case.
Nationwide protests are planned in Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, Perth and regional centres.
“A reasonable person will look at the circumstances and say, ‘we just can’t have a riot in Sydney’,” NSW Premier Chris Minns said of the planned rally from Sydney Town Hall.
“Most people would expect the government and the police to ensure that there is public safety during that period.”
Organisers Palestine Action Group encouraged supporters to congregate peacefully and head to NSW parliament in defiance of the premier’s attempt to “silence opposition” and the police restrictions.
“It is completely legal to attend this mass, peaceful gathering in opposition to an ongoing genocide,” the activists said in a statement.
Greens try to suspend standing orders
Greens Senator David Shoebridge on Tuesday tried to suspend standing orders to move a motion to push the government to rescind Herzog’s invitation, criticising Labor for “providing a red carpet for a man who incited genocide”.
“When someone is accused by the United Nations of inciting genocide, you don’t invite them for tea, you don’t give them a platform, and you certainly don’t welcome them as a guest of honour,” Shoebridge said.
A UN Independent International Commission of Inquiry, which does not speak on behalf of the world body and has faced harsh Israeli criticism, concluded in September that Israel was committing genocide in Gaza.
The commission also accused Herzog, former Israeli defence minister Yoav Gallant, and Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu of genocidal intent.
Israel also faces an ongoing genocide case in the International Court of Justice. The court is yet to issue its final ruling. Israel has denied accusations that it has committed genocide.
Opposition foreign affairs spokesperson Michaelia Cash said the Opposition wouldn’t support the motion, criticising the Greens senator for using Australia’s relationship with Israel “as a prop” and for “parliamentary theatrics”.
She also said the timing of Herzog’s visit “is of vital importance to the Jewish community” following the Bondi terror attack.
The government also did not support the motion.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.