Share and Follow
The government is acutely aware of the burden that changes in health insurance premiums impose on Australians. Decisions regarding these premiums are being made with a focus on prioritizing consumer interests. This was emphasized by the official spokesperson who stated, “The government understands the pressure health insurance premium changes put on Australians and decisions about private health insurance premiums must put consumers first.”
In this latest round of premium adjustments, the guiding principle has been to balance the need to retain value for Australians with the necessity for the sector to support private hospitals grappling with escalating costs and significant challenges. “This premium round has been guided by my commitment to maintain the value of private health insurance for Australians, while making sure the sector plays its part in supporting private hospitals facing rising costs and significant challenges,” the spokesperson added.
An analysis conducted by Canstar revealed that individuals with gold cover are likely to see their premiums increase by an average of $167 annually. Meanwhile, families are expected to face an additional financial burden of approximately $330 each year. It’s important to note that these figures represent the industry average, as each insurance provider was granted its own specific rate increase.
In particular, for-profit insurers such as AIA, NIB, and Medibank received approvals for rate hikes exceeding 5 percent. In contrast, several not-for-profit organizations managed to keep their increases below 3 percent, with GMHBA notably restricting their premium rise to just 1.98 percent. This variance illustrates the differing approaches within the industry towards managing costs and consumer affordability.
For-profit providers AIA, NIB and Medibank were all granted increases above 5 per cent while several not-for-profits kept their rises below 3 per cent and GMHBA premiums were set to rise only 1.98 per cent.
Canstar said insurers could also hike premiums by different amounts depending on the coverage type.Â
The cost of an individual gold policy rose by an average of 11.6 per cent between March and April last year when the approved average was just 3.73 per cent, the financial comparison site said.
“The highest government-approved price hike since 2017 is not what the doctor ordered for households battling cost-of-living pressures,” data insights director Sally Tindall said.
“This 4.41 per cent price hike will go down like foul-tasting medicine for Australians already juggling higher mortgage repayments, electricity and grocery bills.
“While the average hike is sitting at 4.41 per cent, for those with a high-level of cover, know your premium increase could be far more severe.”
Money.com.au general manager of health insurance Chris Whitelaw urged policyholders to reassess their cover needs and compare policies.
“A rise of this size will push many households to the edge,” he said.Â
“Australians are being asked to absorb another steep increase at a time when families are already making tough trade-offs between essential expenses.”
Experts suggested switching to a comparable policy within the same tier or even paying the full annual amount before April 1 to mitigate or delay the increase.
Private Healthcare Australia chief executive Dr Rachel David said health funds were trying to balance affordability with rising costs.
“More people are using their health insurance for high-cost hospital care such as joint replacements and cancer treatment, and the cost of delivering care continues to rise. This premium increase reflects those realities,” she said.
“If health funds could keep premiums the same without jeopardising their ability to pay claims, they would.Â
“The industry is acutely aware of how tough many Australians are doing it right now.”
NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.