Share and Follow
Ukraine and Russia have conducted their first prisoner swap in several months, with each nation freeing at least 157 individuals. This exchange took place on Thursday, coinciding with talks in Abu Dhabi facilitated by the United States, which aim to bring an end to the ongoing conflict.
Historically, prisoner exchanges have been one of the few areas where Ukraine and Russia have managed to cooperate directly during the four-year conflict. However, last month, Ukraine accused Russia of suspending these exchanges, leading to a halt in this critical humanitarian gesture.
Thursday’s exchange, which was mediated by Washington, marked the first such swap since October. It involved the exchange of 157 captured soldiers and civilians from both sides, a significant development amidst the trilateral discussions in Abu Dhabi.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy expressed his gratitude on social media, stating, “Today’s exchange came after a long pause, and it is critical that we were able to make it happen. I thank everyone who works to make these exchanges possible.”
Photos shared by President Zelenskyy depict the released prisoners, their heads shaved, proudly draped in Ukrainian flags, smiling as snowflakes gently fall around them.
Ukrainian parliament commissioner for human rights Dmytro Lubinets said among the 157 Ukrainians released “are seven civilians and those whom the Russians unlawfully convicted”.
Zelenskyy’s aide Kyrylo Budanov said that in the group of the freed prisoners were 19 Ukrainians “who were illegally sentenced, 15 of them to life imprisonment”.
Russia, who said the United States and United Arab Emirates acted as mediators for the exchange, announced earlier it had handed over 157 Ukrainian soldiers and that 157 Russian servicemen were returned.

“In addition, three Russian citizens, residents of the Kursk region … will be returned home,” the Russian defence ministry said in a statement.
Ukrainian forces launched a surprise incursion into Russia’s western Kursk region in 2024.
‘Significant’ work ahead in talks
Despite the prisoner exchange, there were no immediate signs of progress on the thornier issue of territory.
“It is certainly not easy, but Ukraine has been and will remain as constructive as possible,” Zelenskyy said of the talks.
Ukraine’s lead negotiator, Rustem Umerov, said on social media that “the delegations agreed to inform their capitals and continue trilateral talks in the coming weeks”.
US mediator Steve Witkoff conceded that “significant” work still lay ahead.
The negotiations are the latest bid in diplomatic efforts to halt the fighting — Europe’s deadliest conflict since World War II, with hundreds of thousands killed, millions forced to flee their homes and much of eastern and southern Ukraine devastated.
As talks were underway, large swathes of the Ukrainian capital were still without heating in sub-zero temperatures, after successive Russian strikes knocked out energy supplies to hundreds of apartment blocks.
The main sticking point in the negotiations is the long-term fate of territory in eastern Ukraine.
Russia is demanding that Ukraine pull its troops out of swathes of the Donbas region, including heavily fortified cities atop vast natural resources, before any deal.
It also wants international recognition that land seized in the invasion belongs to Russia.
Kyiv has said the conflict should be frozen along the current front line and has rejected a pull-back of forces.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.