Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks
Share and Follow

A lawyer has been charged over an alleged violent kidnapping and ransom plot in western Sydney late last year.

A 31-year-old man was making a phone call inside his car in Granville on November 23 when he was allegedly attacked by three unknown men armed with bats, bound with cable ties and driven to a second location, believed to be a home in St Marys, and tortured.

Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks said the alleged assault was recorded on a mobile phone and used to demand ransom from the man’s brother.

Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks
Robbery and Serious Crime Squad Commander Detective Acting Superintendent Andrew Marks. (Nine)

“The offences were very organised and they were very violent crimes,” he told reporters today.

The man’s brother paid the sum in cash, but the group allegedly demanded more money.

During an alleged exchange in Panania the following day, a fight broke out and the 31-year-old was able to escape.

The man was rushed to hospital and treated for injuries that included a black eye, cuts to his head and a deep wound on his left hand. 

Three men have previously been charged and remain before the courts.

Last night, detectives arrested a 26-year-old lawyer in Austral and searched his home on Ulm Street in Ermington.

An alleged weapon seized as part of the investigation. (NSW Police)

He was taken to Liverpool Police Station, where he was charged with seven offences, including two counts of knowingly directing the activities of a criminal group, taking/detaining a person in company with the intent to ransom and wounding a person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Marks alleged that the lawyer was linked to a long-running drug supply operation and had told a gang to organise and commit the kidnapping and ransom through encrypted apps.

“In relation to this investigation, it was conducted in close collaboration with other supporting law enforcement agencies, linking the male that was arrested yesterday to a sophisticated drug supply operation dating back to 2022,” he said.

“Police allege that the encrypted communications showed the male planned to kidnap or kill a drug runner that he suspected had stolen drugs.” 

Marks was unable to say whether the man had known the three other men charged over the incident through his work.

One of the men before the courts charged over an alleged violent kidnapping in Western Sydney.
One of the men before the courts charged over an alleged violent kidnapping in Western Sydney. (NSW Police)

The lawyer has been refused bail and faced the Liverpool Local Court today.

Detectives are continuing to investigate members of the involved gang.

“Those that are responsible or were involved, we will ensure that we’ll do everything we can to get them before the courts,” Marks said.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Australian Man Imprisoned for Setting Up Malicious WiFi Networks at Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for setting up fraudulent…
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Occupants from Burning Home

An Uber driver became an unexpected hero when he abruptly stopped mid-ride…
Donald Trump said Juan Orlando Hernandez was "treated very harshly and unfairly".

Trump’s Pardon Sparks Controversy: Honduran President’s Drug Trafficking Sentence Overturned

President Donald Trump said he will be pardoning former Honduran President Juan…
Neuroblastoma is a deadly cancer that can affect children as young as two-years-old. A new study by the Garvan Institute may have found a drug that can help cure it.

Potential Breakthrough Drug Emerges in Fight Against Deadly Childhood Cancer

An existing cancer drug may offer new hope for treating a lethal…

Iran Accuses Australia of Collusion with Israel Amidst Outrage Over IRGC Terror Designation

Iran has expressed “disgust” at Australia’s formal designation of the Islamic Revolutionary…

Trump Proposes Migration Freeze on ‘Third World Countries’ Following National Guard Incident

US President Donald Trump has announced he will “permanently pause” migration from…

Discover the Top Australian Suburbs with Home Values Doubling in Just Five Years

Nearly 200 Australian suburbs have more than doubled in value over the…

Breaking News: Critical Insights on the Airbus A320 Recall You Can’t Miss

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…