HomeAUTransforming Tradition: Sydney's Iconic New Year's Eve Celebrations to Debut Exciting Changes...

Transforming Tradition: Sydney’s Iconic New Year’s Eve Celebrations to Debut Exciting Changes in 2023

Share and Follow
Sydney’s iconic New Year’s Eve fireworks will ring in 2026 on Wednesday night, but celebrations will look a little different this year — with police officers carrying machine guns in the wake of the Bondi terror attack.
NSW Premier Chris Minns said on Monday that there would be a “huge” security presence at the celebration sites on Wednesday, including fully armed police.
“That means that we have to have a massive police presence. We need to have huge security available on the scene during New Year’s Eve celebrations,” Minns told reporters.
“And yes, in many cases, it will be confronting for members of the community to see police with big firearms and machine guns, which aren’t normally the case on Sydney’s streets.

Premier Chris Minns of New South Wales has firmly defended the presence of a “massive police presence” in the community, stating, “I don’t make any apology for that. We want people to be safe in our community.”

A man wearing a dark blue shirt standing in front of a tree.

Speaking to the media, Minns emphasized the necessity of a significant law enforcement presence, as captured by photographer Dominic Giannini of AAP.

Details regarding the deployment of fully armed forces are expected to be disclosed soon. The NSW Police plan to provide further information in the coming days, Minns indicated.

The premier also highlighted the opportunity for the community to demonstrate resilience and solidarity in the face of recent events, particularly referencing the attack in Bondi earlier this month. The message was clear: the community should not be intimidated by such incidents.

The City of Sydney estimates around 1.1 million live audiences will witness the glamorous fireworks across 48 vantage points, with 425 million watching from home worldwide.
Stephen Gilby, City of Sydney’s events program manager, said at 11pm, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and boats on the water will light up white as a symbol of unity, and its pylons will display the word ‘Peace’.
“It will be a powerful message on a global stage,” he said.
There will be a one-minute silence to show solidarity with the Jewish community, and crowds will be asked to shine their phone torches in solidarity.
“After a tragic end to the year for our city, we hope that New Year’s Eve will provide an opportunity to come together and look with hope for a peaceful and happy 2026,” Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore said.
NYE events with increased security will also go ahead at Coogee, Parramatta and on the city’s northern beaches.

However, a planned gathering at Bondi has been cancelled, with organisers instead focusing on “compassion and care for Sydney’s Jewish community and all those impacted”.

Gilby said the New Year’s Eve celebrations will be like “nowhere else”, with more fireworks launched from more locations than before.
Spectators on the night will first enjoy the Calling Country Fireworks at 9pm, curated by First Nations social enterprise We Are Warriors.
At 10pm, the Sydney Harbour Bridge will be illuminated to recognise mental health service Beyond Blue.

At midnight, Sydneysiders will ring in 2026 with shimmering fireworks from water, land and aerial platforms, six city rooftops, Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.

How to get to Sydney’s NYE fireworks

Gilby encouraged members of the public planning to attend the celebration to use public transport, saying there would be extra train and bus services available on the day.
He also advised planning for the events before leaving home and visiting sydneynewyearseve.com for more information.
With additional reporting by the Australian Associated Press.

Share and Follow