Share and Follow
The Venezuelan government has slammed former President Donald Trump for what it describes as a “colonial threat,” accusing him of attempting to erode the South American nation’s sovereignty. This comes in response to Trump’s recent comments on his Truth Social platform.
While the White House has remained silent, choosing not to comment on Trump’s statements, it remains unclear if these comments signal a new policy direction or are simply a reiteration of his ongoing campaign against Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. This campaign has seen multiple military strikes in the Caribbean Sea and the eastern Pacific Ocean, targeting small vessels suspected of drug trafficking, alongside a significant increase in naval forces in the region.
Since early September, these operations have resulted in over 80 fatalities. However, instead of directing his remarks to Maduro, Trump addressed his call for an aerial blockade to a wide audience, including “Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers.”
In a strong rebuke, the Venezuelan government has stated that it “forcefully rejects” Trump’s assertions about closing the airspace, labeling it a “colonial threat” aimed at compromising Venezuela’s “territorial integrity, aeronautical security, and full sovereignty.”
Venezuela’s government said it “forcefully rejects” Trump’s claim about closing the airspace and that it was a “colonial threat” intended to undermine the country’s “territorial integrity, aeronautical security and full sovereignty.”
The Foreign Ministry said “such declarations constitute a hostile, unilateral and arbitrary act.”
The statement also said that US immigration authorities had unilaterally suspended biweekly deportation flights of Venezuelan migrants.
Following negotiations between the two governments, more than 13,000 Venezuelans have been deported to Venezuela this year on dozens of chartered flights, the latest of which arrived late Friday in Caracas, the capital, according to flight-tracking data.
International airlines last week began to cancel flights to Venezuela after the Federal Aviation Administration told pilots to be cautious flying around the country because of heightened military activity.
The FAA’s jurisdiction is generally limited to the United States and its territories.
The agency does routinely warn pilots about the dangers of flying over areas with ongoing conflicts or military activity around the globe, as it did earlier this month with Venezuela.
The FAA works with other countries and the International Civil Aviation Organization on international issues.
The FAA and ICAO did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Saturday.
Trump’s administration has sought to ratchet up pressure on Maduro.
The US government does not view Maduro as the legitimate leader of the oil-rich but increasingly impoverished South American nation and he faces charges of narcoterrorism in the US.
US forces have conducted bomber flights near Venezuela and the USS Gerald R. Ford, America’s most advanced aircraft carrier, was sent to the area.
The Ford rounds off the largest buildup of US firepower in the region in generations. With its arrival, the “Operation Southern Spear” mission includes nearly a dozen Navy ships and about 12,000 sailors and Marines.
There are bipartisan calls for greater oversight of the US military strikes against vessels in the region after The Washington Post reported that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth issued a verbal order for all crew members to be killed as part of the Sept. 2 attack on suspected drug smugglers.
Fierce blaze marks the end of ‘cursed’ cruise ship
Republican Sen. Roger Wicker of Mississippi, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and its top Democrat, Rhode Island Sen. Jack Reed, said in a joint statement late on Friday that the committee “will be conducting vigorous oversight to determine the facts related to these circumstances.”
Trump’s team has weighed both military and nonmilitary options with Venezuela, including covert action by the CIA.
Trump has publicly floated the idea of talking to Maduro.
The New York Times reported on Friday that Trump and Maduro had spoken.
The White House declined to answer questions about the conversation.