Passenger Attempts to Enter Cockpit on Delta Flight: Houston Police Respond

This recent incident highlights ongoing concerns over attempted cockpit breaches in recent years. WASHINGTON — On Wednesday morning, Houston police apprehended an individual who allegedly...
HomeAUTwo Face Court for Murder Following Tragic Shooting of Esteemed Individual in...

Two Face Court for Murder Following Tragic Shooting of Esteemed Individual in Melbourne

Share and Follow

Two men accused of killing a much-loved 26-year-old man in an allegedly targeted attack have faced court, one with an injured wrist and another withdrawing from drugs.

Kwar Ater, 26, was shot on the corner of Elizabeth and Franklin streets, in Melbourne’s CBD, about 3.40am on September 7.

He was taken to hospital with a gunshot wound, however he could not be saved and died from his injuries.

Kwar Ater
Kwar Ater was shot early on the morning of September 7. (Facebook)

Two men, aged 23 and 22, faced Melbourne Magistrates Court today, each charged with murder.

Ater Koth faced the court in person and Moses Laula via video link from Melbourne West police station, as the cells at the court’s custody centre were full.

Laula’s defence lawyer Alana Reader asked for her client to be seen by a nurse while in custody, as he had an injury on his wrist and required a prescription for nerve damage.

Meanwhile, Koth was vulnerable in custody due to his age and has been withdrawing from prescription drugs since his arrest, his lawyer told the court.

Magistrate Gregory McNamara requested both men be seen by nurses in custody.

Kwar Ater
Ater played football for the Point Cook Centrals. (GoFundMe)

They did not apply for bail and were each remanded, to return to the court on January 21 next year.

Four men were arrested at South Melbourne yesterday, with assistance from Victoria Police’s Special Operations Group, but two of the men were released without charge pending further inquiries.

Police previously said the shooting was “targeted” and the parties knew each other.

Ater’s family have been “shaken by the tragic loss of our brother”, who was loved by many in the community.

“A staple in our family, a prominent figure in our community and an amazing person who touched the lives of everyone who knew him,” Akert Alaat said on a fundraiser for his funeral, which has reached almost $19,000.

“To know Kwar is to know kindness, patience, love and loyalty.

“Our community as a whole are currently suffering, as senseless acts of violence continue to hurt and burden families of innocent victims.”

He was a member of Point Cook Centrals Sporting Club, which held a candlelight vigil for Ater on September 13 to “say goodbye to loving brother and friend”.

Shortly after his death the club said Ater was a senior ruckman in division one, who always lifted up his teammates and was a “a true mate to so many”.

“We are absolutely shattered and he will be deeply missed by every single one of us,” they wrote on Facebook.

Share and Follow