Uzor Arukwe Claps Back at Criticism Amidst Bambam Marital Drama: A Must-Read Response

Uzor Arukwe is currently in the spotlight due to rumors surrounding the marriage of his colleague, Bambam (Oluwabamike Adenibuyan). Bambam and her husband, Teddy A,...
HomeAUUncovering the Impact: Israel's Actions on Gaza Cemetery with Australian War Graves...

Uncovering the Impact: Israel’s Actions on Gaza Cemetery with Australian War Graves Revealed

Share and Follow

A cemetery in Gaza, where Australian soldiers are interred, has reportedly suffered “significant damage” due to actions by the Israeli military. This has sparked concerns over the possible impairment of the graves belonging to a famed World War One unit.

During Senate estimates this week, Independent Senator David Pocock urged the government to address this issue, coinciding with the visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog, who is in Australia at the invitation of the federal government, a visit that has stirred controversy.

The Returned Services League Australia (RSL) initially voiced concerns in August 2024 about potential harm to Australian graves in Gaza. Recently, they reiterated these concerns, emphasizing damage to the graves of Australian service members and the safety of those maintaining these sites.

The Guardian has released satellite imagery that reveals the destruction of numerous gravestones within a section of the Gaza War Cemetery, an area that includes Australian soldiers’ graves.

On Monday, during his Senate estimates appearance, Pocock questioned Foreign Minister Penny Wong on whether Prime Minister Anthony Albanese intended to discuss this issue with Herzog, particularly regarding the possibility of Israel financing the restoration of the damaged graves.

“The graves of fallen Australians are sacred to us, and we would always make clear the priority we attach to the resting place of Australians,” Wong said, declining to answer the question.

Satellite imagery showing razed area in the Gaza War Cemetery
The Gaza War Cemetery has sustained “extensive damage”, according to the organisation that manages it, which says it is unable to enter Gaza to start reconstruction efforts. Credit: Google Maps via Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Pocock read aloud an email he had received from a constituent who said her father was a World War Two soldier buried at the Gaza cemetery.

“My family is distressed and angry, as we were led to believe by the [Commonwealth] War Graves Commission that very few Australian people’s graves had been affected,” Pocock repeated.

“I’m also distressed that the Australian government has very lately invited the president of Israel to Australia when our soldiers’ graves have been desecrated by the Israeli Defence Force.”

Israel has acknowledged it damaged the site and said it happened while the site was part of an active combat zone. Media reported Israel had bulldozed parts of the site, which it did not explicitly confirm.

SBS News has contacted the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) for comment.

The cemetery is managed by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) on behalf of the Australian government and its other member nations, the UK, New Zealand, Canada, South Africa and India.

Pocock’s constituent also asked what action the Australian government had taken and intended to take.

Wong referred the questions to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

RSL Australia national president Peter Tinley said the League had been in contact with both the Office of Australian War Graves and the CWGC during the current conflict and following the ceasefire.

“Unfortunately, the conflict is not yet fully resolved, with ongoing actions, and this makes it extremely difficult to actively monitor the status of the war graves and the cemetery as a whole,” Tinley said.

He said the RSL has been advised “as soon as it is safe to do so, a full assessment of any damage will be conducted and necessary repairs undertaken”.

“The cemetery has been maintained by a dedicated local team, all of whom are based in Gaza. The current head gardener is the fourth generation in his family to serve in the position, beginning with his great-grandfather, who first took up the role more than 100 years ago.

“We trust the team members and their families have survived the conflict and will soon be able to resume their duties.”

What has Israel said about this?

The Guardian said it provided satellite images to the IDF which acknowledged it had conducted military operations in the cemetery and “dismantled” Hamas infrastructure in and around the site.

The former caretaker of the cemetery told the Guardian he witnessed two bulldozing operations at the site, located in the Tuffah area of Gaza City, in April and May last year.

An IDF spokesperson said “terrorists” attempted to attack IDF troops and took cover in structures close to the cemetery.

“During IDF operations in the area, terrorists attempted to attack IDF troops and took cover in structures close to the cemetery.

“In response to ensure the safety of IDF troops operating on the ground, operational measures were taken in the area to neutralise identified threats.”

How many Australians are buried there?

The cemetery houses more than 260 Australian graves, including dozens who died during World War One and more than 150 who died during World War Two, according to a CWGC database which lists the names of the deceased.

They’re among several thousand graves, most of them British, at the site.

Military historian Peter Stanley, an honorary professor at the University of New South Wales Canberra, told SBS News these figures included men who were killed in the three battles of Gaza in 1917, most of them Light Horsemen, and members of the Second Australian Imperial Force which deployed to the Middle East during World War Two.

The three battles of Gaza were a series of attacks by British Empire forces that sought to capture Gaza from Ottoman forces. The third was successful.

The Battle of Beersheba, remembered for a historic charge by Australian Light Horse units in October 1917, marked the opening of the third campaign.

“They are some of the men who were involved in the most famous Australian Light Horse exploit in history,” Stanley said of those buried in Gaza.

During World War Two, multiple Australian hospitals were set up in and around Gaza, Stanley said, “and so men who died of wounds in those hospitals are also buried in the Gaza War Cemetery”.

“They’re very cherished by the families with a connection to these people, and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s cemeteries are beautifully preserved and maintained in most places.”

There are also 772 Australian war graves in Israel, according to the Department of Veterans’ Affairs — 553 from World War One and 229 from World War Two.

What is the extent of the damage?

In a statement published to its website on Monday, the CWGC said the cemetery had suffered “extensive damage”.

“It is unlikely we will be able to enter Gaza for some time and are not able to protect the sites from further damage,” the statement read.

A spokesperson for the Department of Veterans’ Affairs told SBS News the CWGC had determined that “there has been significant damage to the Gaza War Cemetery and this includes the graves of Australians as well as other nations”.

“The Office of Australian War Graves is very concerned by the damage to the cemetery and Australian war graves.”

They said the CWGC planned to secure and repair the cemetery as soon as it was safe to do so, “however, it is expected that full reconstruction will take some time as the immediate post-conflict priority for works will be directed to humanitarian efforts”.

Israel previously paid compensation for damaging the cemetery in operations in 2006 and 2009.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow