How NSW’s Latest Public Holiday Could Impact Small Business Finances in 2023

With the state’s latest Anzac Day holiday set to fall on Saturday, April 25, NSW Premier Chris Minns confirmed that the following Monday will...
HomeAUUnraveling the Mystery: Australians with Alleged ISIS Ties Attempting a Return from...

Unraveling the Mystery: Australians with Alleged ISIS Ties Attempting a Return from Syrian Camps

Share and Follow

In Brief

  • A group of so-called “ISIS brides” remain in Syria after an unsuccessful attempt to return to Australia.
  • The Opposition wants a special two-year exclusion order applied to them to block their return.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has issued a stark warning to Australian women and children with alleged ties to the Islamic State (IS): if they return to Australia and are found guilty of any crimes, they will face the full extent of the law. This statement comes amidst the ongoing saga of 34 Australians who had been residing in the al-Roj displacement camp in northern Syria. These individuals, who were set to return to Australia on Monday, found their journey interrupted and were taken back to the camp due to what local authorities described as “technical reasons.”

The Australian government has firmly stated that it “is not and will not repatriate people from Syria.” This stance was reiterated by a government spokesperson in a formal statement, underscoring the complexities and sensitivities surrounding such repatriations.

Since the collapse of the IS group in 2019, Australia has managed two successful repatriation efforts. The first was under the Morrison government, which in June 2019, brought back eight orphaned children. More recently, in October 2022, the Albanese government followed suit by repatriating four women and 13 children.

Since the IS group was toppled in 2019, Australia has conducted two successful repatriation missions.

The Morrison government brought back eight orphaned children in June 2019, while the Albanese government repatriated four women and 13 children in October 2022.

A group of Muslim women and children walking out of the door of a demountable. There is a small group of people opposite them filming with cameras and phones
It’s unclear why the group of Australians were returned to the al-Roj displacement camp in Syria. Source: AP / Baderkhan Ahmad

Who are the women in the group?

The women had travelled or were taken to Syria to become partners of IS group members and have been living in the displacement camp after the collapse of the IS group in 2019.

The women are often referred to as ‘ISIS brides’, given their perceived or real links to IS group fighters.

Among those believed to be in the group is Kirsty Rosse-Emile, a Melbourne woman who travelled to Syria with her husband, Nabil Kadmiry, who was stripped of his citizenship in 2019.

Another woman from Melbourne, Zahra Ahmad, told SBS Dateline some women “had no choice but to follow” the men in her family who chose to join the IS group.

At the camp, she and her kids and 12 other Australian mothers sleep in tents next to an oilfield.

Over a dozen children are among the cohort.

Save the Children, which launched an unsuccessful legal bid against the government to repatriate the group, has expressed concern for the children’s well-being.

“These kids haven’t even seen a tree,” CEO Matt Tinkler told Dateline last year.

“They’re innocent Aussie kids, and they deserve to be home.”

Syrian government forces seized swathes of northern Syria from the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces in January. They took over prisons and camps that housed IS fighters and their families from the Kurdish forces.

This came a year after the fall of the Assad regime.

Al-Roj camp, where the Australians live amongst 2,000 others, remains in the hands of the Kurdish forces, but the US believes it too will be taken over by the Syrian government.

Is the government helping them return to Australia?

The Australian government insists it’s not helping them.

“We have a very firm view that we won’t be providing assistance or repatriation,” Albanese told ABC News.

Veiled women in a minibus
The Australian families returned to Roj camp shortly after leaving due to “technical problems”. Source: AP / Baderkhan Ahmad

“My mother would have said: ‘If you make your bed, you lie in it’. These people went overseas supporting Islamic State and went there to provide support for people who basically want a caliphate.”

However, the government has previously said that, as Australian citizens, they have entitlements that are not discretionary under law.

Last year, a group of six women and children made their way to Australia without the support of the government, after obtaining passports from Australia’s Beirut embassy.

This is the same path the latest group are believed to be planning to undertake.

Liberal senator Jonathon Duniam said it was “not good enough” to allow them return.

“These people left Australia to go and be a part of something … that is pure evil,” he said on Monday.

“It is not okay for the government just to say: ‘Oh, well, they’re Australian citizens, they should come back.’”

He said a temporary exclusion order would prevent their arrival.

“During the two years that these temporary exclusion orders could apply, there are further conditions that can be imposed around where people are situated, what monitoring conditions and reporting conditions are in place, relating to these people and their movement in the community.”

But the Greens said the government was responsible for protecting the children in the group.

“These are kids, 6-year-olds, many of them are victims of ISIS,” Greens senator David Shoebridge said.

“The fact that Albanese is instead using this moment to put kids in danger and doing his best One Nation impression is disgusting. Children should not be held responsible for their parents’ actions.

“It is a testament to how far the modern Laborr Party has fallen that we are looking back at the relative moral clarity of the Morrison government who managed to get children home safely from Syria.”

What will happen to them if they return to Australia?

Albanese said that, while it was unfortunate that children were caught up in the issue, Australian law would apply if necessary.

“We want to make it clear, as we have to the people involved, if there are any breaches of the law, they will face the full force of the Australian law.”

A group of women and children who had been repatriated by the government in 2022 were subject to voluntary orders, but some were not required to wear ankle bracelets, nor were they subject to terrorism control orders, reportedly because there was no legal basis for it.

However, some were interviewed by police upon their return.

A government spokesperson said Australian security agencies have been monitoring, and continue to monitor, the situation in Syria to ensure “they are prepared for any Australians seeking to return to Australia”.

“The safety of Australians and the protection of Australia’s national interests remain the overriding priority.”

The statement echoed Albanese’s claims that people would be prosecuted if they had committed crimes.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow