Share and Follow
Ousted Liberal leader Sussan Ley had been preparing to unveil a series of stringent immigration policies aimed at heavily restricting entry from over a dozen nations labeled as breeding grounds for “Islamist terrorist ideologies.”
These measures were largely developed within Ley’s office following the terror incident in Bondi, targeting immigration from territories such as the occupied Palestinian regions, Afghanistan, select areas of the Philippines and Lebanon, and Somalia.
Additionally, the policy would have impacted immigration from Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, and Yemen.
The proposed ban, intended to last for three years, was anticipated to receive approval at a shadow cabinet meeting scheduled for Monday, had Ley’s leadership persisted, according to a source within the Liberal Party familiar with the proceedings.
The policy also proposed an “Australian values” declaration, mandating new arrivals to align with specific cultural expectations. Violators of this declaration faced the threat of swift deportation.

The policy would also have seen a proposal to significantly reduce net overseas migration and cut international student visas.
Ley lost the Liberal leadership after nine months in the job last week, following a successful leadership spill by former Opposition defence spokesperson Angus Taylor. Jane Hume was elected as deputy leader.
Opposition immigration spokesperson has ‘serious concerns’ with policy
Liberal senator Paul Scarr — the Opposition’s immigration spokesperson under Ley — said he had neither proposed nor agreed to such a policy.
“I refer to media reports of a so-called leaked Liberal Party policy proposal with respect to banning migration from certain declared regions,” Scarr said in a statement on Monday afternoon.
“It is important that I provide the following information for the record. I never proposed any such policy. I never agreed to any such policy. I never signed or approved a shadow cabinet submission containing any such policy.
“I have a range of serious concerns with respect to any such policy,” he said.
Angus Taylor prepares to announce immigration policy
Taylor’s office told SBS News he hasn’t seen the policy Ley had been preparing to announce.
Taylor has nominated immigration as one of his key policy priorities and has outlined plans to “shut the door” to people who “hate” Australia.
He confirmed plans to reduce immigration intake, but hasn’t clarified whether this policy to implement widespread bans on certain countries and regions would be carried forward under his leadership.
“We’ll respond to policies they announce. Angus Taylor seems to think he can run a debate on the vibe without making a decision,” a government spokesperson told SBS News.
Taylor is expected to unveil a full policy “in the coming days”, along with a new frontbench.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.