HomeAUUS and UK Initiate Strategic Personnel Withdrawal from Qatar Base Amid Potential...

US and UK Initiate Strategic Personnel Withdrawal from Qatar Base Amid Potential US-Iran Tensions Under Trump Administration

Share and Follow
The United States is withdrawing some personnel from bases in the Middle East, a US official said on Wednesday, after a senior Iranian official said Tehran had warned neighbours it would hit American bases if Washington strikes.
With Iran’s leadership trying to quell the worst domestic unrest the Islamic Republic has ever faced, Tehran is seeking to deter US President Donald Trump’s repeated threats to intervene on behalf of anti-government protesters.
A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the United States was pulling some personnel from key bases in the region as a precaution given heightened regional tensions.
Britain was also withdrawing some personnel from an air base in Qatar ahead of possible US strikes, the i newspaper reported.

The British Ministry of Defence has not yet provided any comments regarding the situation.

“All the signals are that a US attack is imminent, but that is also how this administration behaves to keep everyone on their toes. Unpredictability is part of the strategy,” a Western military official told the Reuters news agency late on Wednesday.
Two European officials said US military intervention could come in the next 24 hours.

An Israeli representative indicated that former President Donald Trump seems to be preparing to step into the situation, but the specifics of his involvement remain uncertain.

Qatar said drawdowns from its Al Udeid air base, the biggest US base in the Middle East, were “being undertaken in response to the current regional tensions”.
Three diplomats said some personnel had been told to leave the base, though there were no immediate signs of large numbers of troops being bussed out to a soccer stadium and shopping mall as took place hours before an Iranian missile strike last year.
Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene in support of protesters in Iran, where thousands of people have been reported killed in a crackdown on the unrest against clerical rule.

The unrest in Iran, which started as protests against severe economic challenges, has evolved into something much larger. Both Iranian authorities and Western nations are viewing these protests as the most intense since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, which led to the establishment of Iran’s Shiite clerical regime.

Protesters dancing and cheering around a bonfire as they take to the streets in Iran

Initially sparked by escalating prices that have further strained daily life, the demonstrations have shifted focus, challenging the clerical leadership that has been in power for over 45 years.

An Iranian official reported that the unrest has resulted in over 2,000 deaths. Meanwhile, a human rights organization estimates the death toll to be in excess of 2,600.

Iran asks regional states to prevent a US attack

Trump has openly threatened to intervene in Iran for days, without giving specifics.
In an interview with CBS News on Tuesday, he vowed “very strong action” if Iran executes protesters.
The senior Iranian official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Tehran had asked US allies in the region to prevent Washington from attacking Iran.
“Tehran has told regional countries, from Saudi Arabia and UAE to Turkey, that US bases in those countries will be attacked” if the US targets Iran, the official said.
Direct contacts between Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff have been suspended, the official added.
The United States has forces across the region including the forward headquarters of its Central Command at Al Udeid in Qatar and the headquarters of the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet in Bahrain.

Share and Follow