HomeAUUS Department of Justice Launches Investigation into Minnesota Governor over Alleged ICE...

US Department of Justice Launches Investigation into Minnesota Governor over Alleged ICE Obstruction

Share and Follow
The US justice department has opened a criminal investigation into Minnesota officials, including governor Tim Walz and Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey, over an alleged conspiracy to impede immigration agents.
A source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity on Friday, said subpoenas were prepared for Walz and Frey as part of the probe, but it was not ⁠immediately clear whether they had been served.
The investigation, first reported by CBS News, stems from statements made by Walz and Frey about the thousands of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers and Border Patrol agents deployed to the Minneapolis region in recent weeks under orders from President Donald Trump, the source said.

Tim Walz, who ran unsuccessfully for vice president in the 2024 election won by Donald Trump, took to social media to express his concerns about what he perceives as the misuse of the federal justice system. Walz claims it is being used as a tool to intimidate individuals seen as political adversaries of Trump.

Federal law enforcement officers wearing protective gear attempt to disperse a crowd of demonstrators

Meanwhile, Minneapolis has been rocked by protests following the fatal shooting of 37-year-old Renee Nicole Good, a U.S. citizen, by an ICE agent last week. The incident has sparked outrage and prompted public demonstrations across the city.

Walz further commented on the situation, highlighting a pattern he sees in recent events. “Two days ago it was Elissa Slotkin. Last week, it was Jerome Powell. Before that, it was Mark Kelly. Using the justice system to target opponents is a classic authoritarian move,” he stated.

In a separate statement responding to a CNN report on the investigation, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey echoed similar sentiments. “This is a clear effort to intimidate me for defending Minneapolis, our local law enforcement, and the residents against the chaos and danger this administration has imposed on our city,” Frey remarked.

The justice department declined to comment. But US attorney general Pam Bondi posted a message on X on Friday evening, saying: “A reminder to all those in Minnesota; No one is above the law.”

It would be highly unusual for federal prosecutors to bring a criminal conspiracy case ‍based on statements from public officials about government policies.

A black and white image of a white woman on a poster that reads 'murdered by ICE'. A house surrounded by snow is in the background.

Renee Good was fatally shot by a federal agent in south Minneapolis on 7 January. Source: Getty / Scott Olson

The Trump administration has sent nearly 3,000 federal agents to Minnesota since early last week, triggering angry protests in Minneapolis over the surge in immigration agents on the streets of the state’s most populous city.

Confrontations between residents and federal officers have become increasingly tense after an ICE agent fatally shot a US citizen, Renee Good, 37, behind the wheel of her car, in Minneapolis on 7 January, triggering daily protests that have spread to other cities.

Although he has urged protesters to remain peaceful, Walz also has encouraged citizens to record video of any arrests or other encounters between ICE agents and members of the public in order to create a database for potential “future prosecution” of wrongdoing by law enforcement.
Walz and Frey have repeatedly demanded that Trump end the ICE deployment, saying the militarised deportation drive was a reckless operation aimed at sowing chaos, fear and headlines, and was putting civilians in danger.

Share and Follow