Why Australia’s Burrito Shortage is Costing Businesses Millions: The $200 Million Wake-Up Call

Guzman y Gomez, the renowned burrito chain, recently encountered a financial setback, seeing its half-year earnings fall short of expectations, resulting in a substantial...
HomeAUVictoria's $13 Million Machete Amnesty Concludes: Discover the Updated Penalties

Victoria’s $13 Million Machete Amnesty Concludes: Discover the Updated Penalties

Share and Follow
Victorians could face massive fines or prison time if found in possession of a machete after the state’s controversial $13 million amnesty came to an end.

Owning, carrying, or purchasing a machete has been officially outlawed in the state, with significant repercussions awaiting those who defy the newly enacted regulations.

Individuals caught in violation may face fines reaching up to $48,000 or could even serve up to two years in jail. Law enforcement officers have been granted enhanced search capabilities, particularly in specific regions of Melbourne.

The government says 14,000 weapons have been taken off the streets thanks to the program.
It is now illegal to own, carry, or buy a machete in Victoria. (Nine)

Police officers will now be equipped with metal detecting wands to aid in the discovery of machetes and similar weapons on individuals.

These heightened search powers apply to areas such as the CBD, Southbank, and South Melbourne. Officers have the authority to impose penalties if individuals resist removing items from their pockets or deny a lawful search.

With the introduction of this legislation, the machete amnesty bins that had been placed throughout parts of the state are to be discontinued. The Premier noted that approximately 25,000 weapons were surrendered during the amnesty program that commenced three months ago.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - NOVEMBER 17: Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan speaks during the Hawthorn Hawks Kennedy Community Centre Opening on November 17, 2025 in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Willson/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan claimed the controversial amnesty took around 25,000 machetes and other bladed weapons off the streets. (AFL Photos via Getty Images)

There were 45 bins set up outside of police stations where people could dispose of machetes without penalty or fear of prosecution.

“It’s about drying up supply, because we have seen too much of this dangerous, deadly behaviour, and getting these weapons off our streets is the focus,” she said on Today.

The bins, which became controversial due to their cost, will now be scrapped, with people now needing to contact police if they wish to dispose of machetes or any other bladed weapons now deemed illegal in Victoria.

The cost of the amnesty was controversial, though the government insists the $13 million price tag is for the whole project and not just for the installation of the bins.

Instead, the government claims the bins only cost $2400 each.

Share and Follow