Courtney Morley-Clarke.
Share and Follow

Australia’s youngest-ever convicted murderer will walk from prison following a court’s refusal to keep him locked up four years after his sentence ended.

His 20-year sentence expired in 2021 but concerns over his stunted maturity, institutionalisation and threats of inflicting violence against others have led to rare post-sentence detention orders.

Courtney Morley-Clarke.
Courtney Morley-Clarke was killed in 2001. (Sydney Morning Herald)

A brief foray in the community in 2023 on court-ordered close supervision resulted in him approaching about 200 women across 95 days, including several mothers with young children.

One unlawful interaction – talking to a mother dressing her young child at a beach – forced his return to jail.

An application to detain him for a further year was heard in the NSW Supreme Court as the state argued he posed too great a risk to the community.

A 13-year-old suspect (left) is arrested after the discovery of Courtney’s body in 2001, and detectives searching the scene in Point Claire (right). (Fairfax)

Concerns were aired the man was “very institutionalised”, had suffered a “deep freeze maturation process” and kept ruminating about taking revenge on a community corrections officer.

Psychiatrists previously diagnosed the 38-year-old with a severe personality disorder that made him self-centred and unempathetic.

But Justice Mark Ierace on Friday dismissed the state’s application to detain the killer further.

His written reasons are expected to be published later in the day.

Courtney Morley-Clarke.
The crime scene at Point Claire on the NSW Central Coast. (Sydney Morning Herald)

It likely means Courtney’s killer falls back onto his prior extended supervision order, requiring him to stick to a pre-determined schedule of movements, stay off encrypted apps and other conditions.

The order runs the maximum five years.

He entered custody the day he murdered Courtney, having left his adoptive parents’ home on the Central Coast in the middle of a hot summer night before pulling the girl from her bedroom.

He later told police how he took the youngster to a nearby field.

“I stabbed her in the heart,” the then-teenager said.

The boy then directed police to a pool of blood on a concrete driveway and a steak knife lying nearby.

The girl’s naked and lifeless body was found in tall grass soon after.

The sentencing judge described the “exceedingly disturbing killing of a very young child” as utterly inexplicable and cruel.

“Somewhat disturbingly he gave one answer (in his police interview) which suggested that, once he had killed one person, he expected that it would become easier killing the next one and the one after that,” the judge said.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence in Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The recent devastating fire in Hong Kong, the deadliest in decades, has…
Survivor's incredible story from inside the Hong Kong horror blaze

Incredible Survivor Tale Emerges from Devastating Hong Kong Blaze: A Story of Resilience and Hope

Just past 3 p.m., William Li received an unexpected call from his…

El Jannah’s Journey: From Family-Run Chicken Spot to International Phenomenon

Beloved restaurant chain El Jannah began modestly in 1998, when Lebanese immigrants…

From Digital Sparks to Aisle Marks: The Rabbitohs Romance Behind Australia’s Most Anticipated Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…
A man wades through a flooded road carrying a cat in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov, 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

Catastrophic Sri Lanka Floods and Mudslides Claim 132 Lives: Latest Updates and Safety Measures

The devastation wrought by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka has claimed the…
Large crowds are expected for the line's opening of the Melbopurne Metro Tunnel extension.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Launch: A New Era of Seamless City Commutes Begins

This morning marks a significant milestone for Melbourne as the much-anticipated Metro…
Teen stabbed after end-of-school party in Brisbane

Brisbane End-of-School Celebration Marred by Teen Stabbing Incident

A teenage boy found himself at the center of a frightening incident…
Cricket star goes viral for hilarious celebrations after FINALLY scoring a maiden first class century

Cricket Star Gains Online Fame for Amusing Celebrations Following First-Class Century Achievement

<!– <!– <!– <!– New Zealand’s Ish Sodhi, traditionally known for his…