Karmelo Anthony has initiated an appeal against his recent murder conviction.
The 19-year-old received a 35-year prison sentence on June 9 for the 2025 murder of teenager Austin Metcalf. Just a day after the sentencing, Anthony filed an appeal, as reported by WFAA. In his filing, he requested a court-appointed attorney for the appeal, stating he was “penniless, destitute, and indigent,” unable to afford legal representation.
Previously, Anthony’s family managed to raise approximately $630,000 through a GiveSendGo crowdfunding campaign intended to cover legal costs and other related expenses. However, following Anthony’s conviction, the fundraiser was deactivated.
“The campaign was designed to meet pre-trial expenses, and funds were allocated over the past year,” the platform explained in a statement to The New York Post. “With its original purpose fulfilled, the fundraiser has been concluded.”
“The fundraiser was to support pre-trial needs, and those funds were disbursed over the last year,” the platform told The New York Post in a statement. “With that stated purpose complete, the fundraiser has been closed.”
Texas criminal defense attorney and legal expert Jeremy Rosenthal told The New York Post the family is likely “going to throw the kitchen sink at” their appeal.
While Rosenthal did not represent Karmelo at trial, he said the “most obvious” argument for appeal is the “racial allegations.”
Karmelo, a Black man, was convicted by an all-white jury, a concern his father Andrew Anthony addressed during an appearance on CBS Mornings.
“What stuck out to me,” he said, “No. 1, was the all-white jury.”
The family also believes witnesses may have either lied on the stand or given inconsistent statements.
“They did a number on us,” Andrew added. “We didn’t get justice. A lot of things that were missed that should have been handled a certain way.”
What Happened to Austin Metcalf?
Austin was killed April 2, 2025 during an altercation with Karmelo at a Memorial High School track meet.
Witnesses later told police that students were gathered under a tent on the track to stay out of the rain when Austin told Karmelo to leave the reserved area, according to a probable cause affidavit obtained by Oxygen.
Karmelo allegedly shot back, “Touch me and see what happens.” After a fight broke out between the two, Karmelo pulled out a knife and stabbed Austin in the chest before running away, according to witness statements obtained by Oxygen.
A central issue at trial was whether Karmelo’s actions had been self-defense.
Families of Karmelo Anthony and Austin Metcalf React to Verdict
After the verdict, Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said he was grateful for the jury’s decision.
“Justice was served,” he noted at a press conference, according to NBC DFW. “A year ago, when this senseless murder unfolded, I said that it had struck a deep nerve in Collin County and far beyond. I asked our community to ignore all the noise and instead be levelheaded and patient as the process worked. And today, the process delivered accountability.”
For Austin’s father Jeff Metcalf, the verdict was bittersweet.
“That poor boy is fixing to experience a life that I would not wish upon anyone, but he deserves what he gets because we’re all responsible for our actions,” he told CBS Mornings. “What it boils down to for me is this: Austin will never walk through that door again, and never give me a hug.”
Meanwhile, Karmelo’s dad told the outlet that “nobody wins” by the decision to convict his son.
“We’ve all been hurt by this,” he said. “Everybody, everyone.”
Both families said they have received death threats in the aftermath of the high-profile trial.
Karmelo is currently being held at the Wallace Pack Unit in Texas, according to jail records reviewed by Oxygen. He won’t be eligible for parole until 2043.