HomeCrimeCourt instructs Trump administration to start providing international assistance on Monday

Court instructs Trump administration to start providing international assistance on Monday

Share and Follow

President Donald Trump departs after speaking at Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Fla., Tuesday, Feb. 18, 2025 (Pool via AP).

A federal judge in Washington, D.C., on Thursday ordered the Trump administration to pay tens of millions of dollars in foreign aid just one day after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected the president’s bid to keep the money frozen.

U.S. District Judge Amir H. Ali directed the administration to begin paying back at least a portion of the nearly $2 billion it owes to contractors and aid groups for work already completed by 6 p.m. Monday, The Washington Post reported.

The court specifically ordered the government to hand over the outstanding balances owed to the plaintiff organizations in the action — including the AIDS Vaccine Advocacy Coalition, the Global Health Council, and Chemonics International — who had entered into contracts or received grants from the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the State Department.

The court order entitles the groups to funds for grant drawdowns and invoices dated before Feb. 13, 2025. The administration had already provided the plaintiffs with about $70 million in funds owed since the freeze began on Jan. 20, the government told the court in a joint status report filed Thursday.

“The government’s made a good showing by getting that,” Ali reportedly said during a four-hour hearing Thursday afternoon. “I do appreciate the government’s taking action on that front.”

Share and Follow