HomeLocal NewsPhilippine Vice President Duterte Announces 2028 Presidential Run Amidst Impeachment Efforts

Philippine Vice President Duterte Announces 2028 Presidential Run Amidst Impeachment Efforts

Share and Follow


MANILA – On Wednesday, Philippine Vice President Sara Duterte declared her intention to pursue the presidency in the 2028 elections. This announcement comes amid potential impeachment threats in Congress and pending criminal charges that, if proven, could prevent her from holding public office.

In a televised address, Duterte reiterated her accusations of corruption and poor governance against President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. Although they were allied during the 2022 elections, their relationship has since soured considerably.

Duterte’s family holds Marcos responsible for the incarceration of her father, ex-President Rodrigo Duterte, who is facing a looming trial for alleged crimes against humanity. The International Criminal Court ordered his arrest in the Netherlands last year due to his controversial anti-drug campaign.

She criticized Marcos for failing to deliver on his electoral promises and accused him of mismanagement. In her speech, she repeatedly sought public forgiveness for issues such as corruption, law enforcement challenges, and rising prices.

“Politicians typically delay revealing their plans to avoid being targeted,” Duterte remarked. “However, this administration has already tarnished my reputation.”

She then announced her presidential bid and left a news conference without taking any questions.

Marcos, who is limited to a single, six-year term, did not immediately react to the vice president’s presidential bid and her allegations. A presidential spokesperson, Claire Castro, said Duterte should apologize to the public for the many irregularities and corruption allegations she’s facing along with her frequent personal trips abroad.

“She should ask forgiveness for focusing on destroying reputations of other people instead of doing her work and helping the government,” Castro said.

Most of the allegations against Duterte had been included in an impeachment complaint she survived on a technicality last year.

The House of Representatives had voted to impeach her and sent the case to the Senate for trial. The Supreme Court, however, later ruled that the lower chamber violated a constitutional rule that only one impeachment case could be processed by it in a single year against an impeachable official.

The impeachment complaints filed this month centered on her alleged illegal use and mishandling of $10.3 million in confidential funds from the vice president’s office and from her time as education secretary under Marcos.

Another complaint accused her of having unexplained wealth, including in personal bank accounts. An anti-graft prosecutor has said his agency was trying to gain access to those accounts as part of a separate criminal investigation.

The vice president’s threat during an online news conference in 2024 to have the president, his wife and House of Representatives speaker killed if she herself was assassinated was cited in one of the impeachment complaints.

During the House’s original investigation into the allegations, Duterte refused to respond in detail to questions and skipped some of the televised hearings.

The vice president’s lawyer, Michael Poa, has said Duterte was prepared to confront these allegations and was confident “that a fair and impartial review will demonstrate that the accusations are devoid of both factual and legal basis.”

Rodrigo Duterte aligned himself closely with Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin during his stormy presidency, which ended in 2022. He was succeeded by Marcos, who has deepened defense and military ties with Washington to confront an increasingly assertive Beijing in the disputed South China Sea.

Sara Duterte has been criticized for failing to publicly call out China for its aggressive actions against the Philippines in the disputed waters.

“Let’s be cautious and analytical. Somebody who is seeking your vote maybe a Manchurian candidate,” Castro said.

Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Share and Follow