HomeLocal NewsTrump's Border Czar Announces Continued Presence of a 'Limited' Security Force in...

Trump’s Border Czar Announces Continued Presence of a ‘Limited’ Security Force in Minnesota Following Enforcement Reduction

Share and Follow


WASHINGTON – In a recent development, White House border chief Tom Homan announced that over 1,000 immigration officers have exited the Twin Cities region in Minnesota. More are set to follow in the coming days, as part of the Trump administration’s strategy to scale back its intensified immigration enforcement efforts.

Speaking on CBS’s Face the Nation, Homan mentioned that a “small” security contingent will remain temporarily to safeguard the remaining immigration personnel. This team will be on standby to respond if agents encounter hostile situations or find themselves encircled by demonstrators, although Homan did not clarify what constitutes a “small” force.

Homan also highlighted that investigations into fraud allegations will continue, alongside probes into the anti-immigration protest that interrupted a church service recently.

“We have already deported well over 1,000 individuals, and by Monday or Tuesday, we aim to deport several hundred more,” Homan stated. “Our goal is to revert to our initial operational footprint.”

The deployment, dubbed “Operation Metro Surge” by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), saw thousands of officers dispatched to the Minneapolis–St. Paul area. The Department of Homeland Security hailed it as its most extensive immigration enforcement initiative to date, claiming significant success. However, the operation faced mounting criticism as tensions escalated, resulting in the tragic deaths of two U.S. citizens.

Protests became common. A network of residents worked to help immigrants, warn of approaching agents or film immigration officers’ actions. The shooting deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti by federal officers drew condemnation and raised questions over officers’ conduct, prompting changes to the operation.

Homan announced last week that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but that still left more than 2,000 in the state. He said Thursday that a “significant drawdown” was already underway and would continue through this week.

Homan said enforcement would not stop in the Twin Cities and that mass deportations will continue across the country. Officers leaving Minnesota will report back to their stations or be assigned elsewhere.

When asked if future deployments could match the scale of the Twin Cities operation, Homan said “it depends on the situation.”

Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Share and Follow