Share and Follow
![]()
GENEVA – In a striking revelation, U.N.-backed human rights experts have described recent attacks in Sudan’s Darfur region as exhibiting “hallmarks of genocide.” This assertion follows a devastating campaign launched in October by Sudanese rebels targeting non-Arab communities in and around a key city in the region.
The independent fact-finding mission on Sudan detailed how the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) orchestrated mass killings and other horrific acts in el-Fasher. The report highlights an 18-month siege, during which the RSF imposed conditions aimed at the “physical destruction” of non-Arab communities, notably the Zaghawa and the Fur peoples.
Officials from the United Nations have revealed the grim toll of the RSF’s assault on el-Fasher, the last bastion of the Sudanese army in Darfur. They estimate that several thousand civilians were killed in the takeover, with only 40% of the city’s 260,000 residents managing to escape. Thousands fled, bearing wounds, while the whereabouts of many more remain uncertain.
The crisis in Sudan escalated into full-blown conflict in mid-April 2023, when festering tensions between military and paramilitary factions erupted in Khartoum and spread rapidly across regions, including Darfur.
The ongoing war has resulted in the deaths of over 40,000 individuals, according to U.N. data. However, aid organizations warn that this figure is likely a significant underestimate, suggesting the actual death toll could be far greater.
The RSF and their allied Arab militias, known as Janjaweed, overran el-Fasher on Oct. 26 and rampaged through the city. The offensive was marked by widespread atrocities that included mass killings and summary executions, sexual violence, torture, and abductions for ransom, according to the U.N. Human Rights Office.
They killed more than 6,000 people between Oct. 25 and Oct. 27 in the city, the office said. Ahead of the attack, the rebels ran riot in the Abu Shouk displacement camp, just outside of the city, and killed at least 300 people in two days, it said.
The RSF did not respond to an e-mailed request for comment. The group’s commander, Gen. Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo, has previously acknowledged abuses by his fighters, but disputed the scale of atrocities.
At least 3 criteria for genocide were met, team says
An international convention known colloquially as the “Genocide Convention” — adopted in 1948, three years after the end of World War II and the Holocaust — sets out five criteria to assess whether genocide has taken place.
They are: killing members of a group; causing its members serious bodily or mental harm; imposing measures aimed to prevent births in the group; deliberately inflicting conditions calculated to bring about the “physical destruction” of the group; and forcibly transferring its children to another group.
The fact-finding team, which doesn’t have final say on the matter, said it found at least three of those five were met in the actions of the RSF. Under the convention, a genocide determination could be made even if only one of the five were met.
The RSF acts in el-Fasher included killing members of a protected ethnic group; causing serious bodily and mental harm; and deliberately inflicting conditions of life calculated to bring about the group’s physical destruction in whole or in part — all core elements of the crime of genocide under international law, according to the fact-finding team.
The report cited a systematic pattern of ethnically targeted killings, sexual violence and destruction and public statements explicitly calling for the elimination of non-Arab communities.
‘Not random’ excesses of war, chair says
Team chair Mohamed Chande Othman, a former chief justice of Tanzania, said the RSF operation were not “random excesses of war” but pointed to a planned and organized operation that bore the characteristics of genocide.
El-Fasher’s residents were “physically exhausted, malnourished, and in part unable to flee, leaving them defenseless against the extreme violence that followed,” the team’s report said. “Thousands of persons, particularly the Zaghawa, were killed, raped or disappeared during three days of absolute horror.”
The fact-finding mission pointed to mass killings, widespread rape, sexual violence, torture and cruel treatment, arbitrary detention, extortion, and enforced disappearances during RSF’s takeover of el-Fasher in late October.
The report documented cases of survivors quoting its fighters as saying things like: “Is there anyone Zaghawa among you? If we find Zaghawa, we will kill them all” and “We want to eliminate anything black from Darfur.”
The report pointed to “selective targeting” of Zaghawa and Fur women and girls, “while women perceived as Arab were often spared.”
A call for accountability
The fact-finding team was created in 2023 by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council, the U.N.’s leading human rights body, which has 47 member countries drawn from membership in the world body.
The team called for accountability for perpetrators and warned that protection of civilians is needed “more than ever” because the conflict is expanding to other regions in Sudan.
Over the course of the conflict, the warring parties were accused of violating international law. But most of the atrocities were blamed on the RSF: The Biden administration, in one of its last decisions, said it committed genocide in Darfur.
The RSF has been supported by the United Arab Emirates over the course of the war, according to U.N. experts and rights groups. The UAE has denied the allegations.
The RSF grew out of the Janjaweed militias, who became notorious for atrocities in the early 2000s in a ruthless campaign against people identifying as East or Central African in Darfur. That campaign killed some 300,000 people and drove 2.7 million from their homes.
___
Magdy reported from Cairo. Fatma Khaled in Cairo contributed to this report.
Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.