A Fox News host has issued a stark warning, stating that supporters of Donald Trump may choose to abstain from voting in the upcoming November midterm elections if the president does not fulfill his pledge to implement widespread deportations.
Tomi Lahren expressed her concern on the platform X, responding to a segment from a recent CNN’s State of the Union interview aired on Sunday, where she commented on the potential reaction of her fellow conservatives.
The shared clip featured Markwayne Mullin, the Department of Homeland Security Secretary, explaining to Jake Tapper that the DHS is not prepared to carry out mass deportations of the approximately 350,000 Haitians poised to lose their Temporary Protected Status (TPS) next year.
Instead, Secretary Mullin noted that these individuals “will have a couple of choices” allowing them the possibility of remaining in the United States.
He elaborated, saying, “They can apply for permanent residency, opt for a temporary visa if they wish, or decide to return. Should they choose to return, we will assist them with that process.”
Lahren, 33, was left unsatisfied. She reacted by bringing up how the administration has also failed to deliver on promised ID requirements for American voters. Lahren is a longtime advocate of Trump’s promised approach to curbing illegal immigration.
‘So no voter ID and now mass deportations aren’t happening either. Why do we elect Republicans?’ she raged during a commercial break of her Big Weekend Show.
‘Don’t be surprised when conservatives stay home in November. I’m not advocating for it but I won’t be surprised,’ the Fox News and OutKick host warned.
Fox News Tomi Lahren, 33, took a shot at a Trump cabinet member on Sunday for what she framed as a softer-than-promised approach to immigration
Lahren was reacting to a CNN State of the Union interview from where Homeland Security head Markwayne Mullin told Jake Tapper that Haitians set to lose Temporary Protected Status (TPS) keeping them in the country next year ‘have a couple of choices’
A Supreme Court decision on Thursday gave the administration the power to mass deport those with TPS.
TPS was granted for Haitians way back in 2010, following the devastating earthquake that month that killed roughly 220,000.
The disaster paved the way for the rise of youth gangs and other armed groups for more than a decade.
The post promptly received more than 400,000 views.
Top administration officials like White House border czar Tom Homan and former DHS head Kristi Noem have aired reinforced plans to execute mass deportations.
Mullin told those set to lose the protection to ‘either try to fill out the paperwork and be here underneath a permanent status, or we will help you get back to your country’ during his spot on CNN.
‘We will actually give you a plane ticket, plus roughly $2,100, to help you re-establish when you get there,’ he explained.
After a Thursday ruling from the Supreme court, the administration has the authority to end TPS for hundreds of thousands of Haitians
He emphasized to Tapper how TPS, as its name already suggests, ‘is not permanent.’
‘The whole time these individuals have been here underneath the Temporary Protected Status, they could have applied for a visa,’ he said.
‘They could have applied for LPR [Lawful Permanent Resident status]. They could have applied for different directions,’ Mullin explained.
Immigrants from 11 other countries also receive TPS. All are set to lose the protection when the policy signed into law by George H.W. Bush expires in February.
Congress created the qualification in 1990 to provide ‘short-term humanitarian relief’ for aliens who cannot safely return to their homes, the Supreme Court reiterated in its ruling on Thursday.
Mullin – a former Oklahoma senator – was tapped to replace Noem last month. Lahren interned for then-Congresswoman Noem after college in South Dakota.
She became a co-host of The Big Weekend Show alongside Joey Jones last year, after 8 years with Fox News.