Share and Follow
Tributes have poured in to an ‘intelligent’ and ‘popular’ 16-year-old boy who was stabbed to death in North London last night – making him the 17th teenager to be murdered in the capital so far this year.
The boy – named locally as Taye Faik – was stabbed in the chest just yards from his home in a quiet cul-de-sac in Edmonton.
According to an eyewitness he was ambushed by two balaclava-clad men who jumped out from two cars – a blue SUV and a black Volvo – shortly before 11.30pm last night.
His uncle, Altough Faik, who visited the scene this morning to comfort his grief-stricken sister, described his nephew as a ‘beautiful boy’.
Schoolmates of Taye have also spoken out, with one reflecting on how ‘everyone wanted to be his friend.’
The boy – named locally as Taye Faik (pictured) – was stabbed in the chest just yards from his home in a quiet cul-de-sac in Edmonton
The 16-year-old, who would not be named, said: ‘He was intelligent, in all the top sets in everything.
‘He was so smart, top set English top set Maths. He was athletic as well.
‘People used to like really, really look up to him and want to be his friend and stuff, because he was a nice person.
‘He was funny. He was into music and football, just like any other kid in primary. He had lots of friends.’
However, the boy was hesitant to give his name because he was ‘scared for his safety.’
Another 16-year-old told MailOnline: ‘He was my friend, I’ve known him since we were in Year 11 at school. I only heard the news morning this morning. He was stabbed in the chest apparently.
‘Taye was a funny guy, he was clever too. He really liked music, particularly rap and used to rap himself quite a bit. It’s a shock. I’m heartbroken.’
Police guard a cordon in in Kendal Gardens, Edmonton, north London after a teenager was stabbed to death yesterday
Flowers left at the scene where the 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death just before 11.30pm on Sunday in Kendal Gardens, Edmonton
‘All I can imagine is the look on his face as he was stabbed. I keep playing it over and over in my mind.’
Speaking to The Evening Standard, his uncle said: ‘He was a beautiful boy. We are devastated. He had a bright future ahead of him. He hasn’t been given the chance to flourish like he would have.
‘He was always smiling and was a pleasure to be around. He managed to get to his house after being stabbed. These boys must lay down these knives.
No arrests have yet been made although a cordon remains in place as forensics’ officers continue to trawl for clues.
Describing the moment the teenager was ambushed, a witness said at least one of the masked yobs was clutching a machete. The man, who asked not to be named, said the attack looked planned and explained: ‘The cars pulled up. A man went up the street and asked someone for a light then moved away. It looked like he was casing the situation.
‘Then shortly after there were two people in balaclavas who attacked the boy with a machete. He was stabbed multiple times and it looked like a targeted attack. After the stabbing the two vehicles, a blue SUV and the Volvo sped off really fast. The victim managed to drag himself to his house just yards away. There was blood everywhere. I don’t know what went off but they came for him, it looked like.’
Another witness, who also wished to remain anonymous, described a scene of ‘bedlam’ and added: ‘ Nine police cars raced into the cul-de-sac where the boy was on the ground, it was outside his house. There was panic and shouting, we are all really shaken up. I have a grandson around that age who lives nearby it makes you think the worst.’
Fitzroy Fuller, 64, who lives in Kendal Gardens, told MyLondon a huge police response consisting of 11 police cars, four vans and two ambulances rush to his street overnight.
Police and ambulance crews were called to the small residential street but the boy was pronounced dead at the scene (police officers at the scene today)
Police at the scene today where a police cordon remains in place
‘I had a look because I saw all the vehicles going down,’ he said. ‘But up until this morning I did not know what was going on.
‘When I saw two ambulances I assumed it must be something. It’s quite disturbing, that there are people capable of doing such a thing.’
Metropolitan Police Detective Chief Superintendent Caroline Haines, the top officer in the borough, said: ‘I thank local people for their patience as policehave worked through the night.
‘They will continue to see a police presence and ongoing activity in their neighbourhood in the coming days, and I encourage people in the community to speak with those officers if they have any information or concerns that they wish to share.
‘My thoughts and most sincere sympathies are with the family and friends of the victim. The family will be supported by dedicated police officers throughout the unimaginably difficult days and months ahead.
‘We will be there for them, and I can assure them that skilled and tenacious detectives will be working to bring to justice whoever was responsible for this terrible crime.’
The murder comes just days after Elianne Andam, 15, died after being fatally stabbed on the way to school during last Wednesday’s morning rush hour in Croydon, South London.
Of the 16 teenagers killed in violent circumstances so far in London this year, 14 were stabbed and two were shot.
Police said that anyone with information about the Kendal Gardens stabbing can contact police on 101 quoting the reference 7767/01oct, or to remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or online.