Don Lemon to Address Charges in Minnesota Church Protest Case

The church protest has sparked intense criticism from conservative religious and political figures. WASHINGTON — Former CNN journalist Don Lemon is scheduled for arraignment in...
HomeUSBreaking News: Rafah Crossing Reopens for Medical Evacuees from Gaza to Egypt

Breaking News: Rafah Crossing Reopens for Medical Evacuees from Gaza to Egypt

Share and Follow

In a significant yet largely symbolic move, the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt has reopened, allowing medical evacuees to enter Egypt. This development comes as part of the Israel-Hamas ceasefire agreements. However, the reopening remains limited in scope, with strict control over the movement of people and a complete ban on the transit of goods.

On the day of the reopening, ambulances lined up for hours at the border, finally transporting patients across after nightfall. Egyptian state-run Al-Qahera News broadcasted the scene, highlighting the long wait endured by those in need of medical care. The Rafah crossing had remained closed since Israeli forces took control in May 2024, making this reopening a critical event for those seeking medical attention.

Gaza health officials have reported that around 20,000 Palestinian children and adults are in dire need of medical treatment and hope to exit the war-torn region through this crossing. Additionally, thousands of Palestinians outside of Gaza are eager to return to their homes, awaiting the opportunity to cross back into the territory.

Ambulances line up to enter the Egyptian gate of the Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip, in Rafah, Egypt, Monday, Feb. 2, 2026.
Ambulances line up to enter the Egyptian gate of the Rafah crossing into the Gaza Strip, in Rafah, Egypt, Monday, Feb. 2, 2026.AP Photo/Mohamed Arafat

As the process unfolds, there is an expectation that the number of travelers will gradually increase, provided the system proves to be effective. Both Israel and Egypt have agreed to meticulously vet individuals seeking to cross the border, ensuring that security protocols are strictly adhered to.

In a statement from the office of the North Sinai governor, it was confirmed that the first Palestinian patient made it across the border into Egypt, marking a small yet hopeful step forward in a region long plagued by conflict and restrictions.

Before the war, Rafah was the main crossing for people moving in and out of Gaza. The territory’s handful of other crossings are all shared with Israel. Under the terms of the ceasefire, which went into effect in October, Israel’s military controls the area between the Rafah crossing and the zone where most Palestinians live.

Violence continued across the coastal territory Monday, and Gaza hospital officials said an Israeli navy ship had fired on a tent camp, killing a 3-year-old Palestinian boy. Israel’s military said it was looking into the incident.

Egypt prepares to receive the wounded

Rajaa Abu Mustafa stood Monday outside a Gaza hospital where her 17-year-old son Mohamed was awaiting evacuation. He was blinded by a shot to the eye last year as he joined desperate Palestinians seeking food from aid trucks east of the southern city of Khan Younis.

“We have been waiting for the crossing to open,” she said. “Now it’s opened and the health ministry called and told us that we will travel to Egypt for (his) treatment.”

About 150 hospitals across Egypt are ready to receive Palestinian patients evacuated from Gaza through Rafah, authorities said. The Egyptian Red Crescent said it has readied “safe spaces” on the Egyptian side of the crossing to support those evacuated from Gaza.

Israel has banned sending patients to hospitals in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and east Jerusalem since the war began, cutting off what was previously the main outlet for Palestinians needing medical treatment unavailable in Gaza.

The Rafah crossing will be supervised by European Union border patrol agents with a small Palestinian presence.

Historically, Israel and Egypt have vetted Palestinians applying to cross. Fearing that Israel could use the crossing to push Palestinians out of the enclave, Egypt has repeatedly said it must be open for them to enter and exit Gaza.

Palestinian toddler killed by Israeli fire

A 3-year-old Palestinian was killed when Israel navy hit tents sheltering displaced people in Khan Younis, Palestinian hospital authorities said.

According to Nasser hospital, which received the body, the attack happened in Muwasi, a tent camp area on Gaza’s coast.

More than 520 Palestinians were killed by Israeli fire since the ceasefire went into effect on Oct. 10, according to Gaza’s health ministry. The casualties since the ceasefire are among the over 71,800 Palestinians killed since the start of Israel’s offensive, according to ministry, which does not say how many were fighters or civilians.

The ministry, which is part of Gaza’s Hamas-led government, keeps detailed casualty records that are seen as generally reliable by U.N. agencies and independent experts.

Rafah’s opening represents ceasefire progress

Israeli troops seized the Rafah crossing in May 2024, calling it part of efforts to combat arms-smuggling for the militant Hamas group. The crossing was briefly opened for the evacuation of medical patients during a ceasefire in early 2025.

Israel had resisted reopening the Rafah crossing, but the recovery of the remains of the last hostage in Gaza cleared the way to move forward.

The reopening is seen as a key step as the U.S.-brokered ceasefire agreement moves into its second phase.

The truce halted more than two years of war between Israel and Hamas that began with the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023. Its first phase called for the exchange of all hostages held in Gaza for hundreds of Palestinians held by Israel, an increase in badly needed humanitarian aid and a partial pullback of Israeli troops.

The second phase of the ceasefire deal is more complicated. It calls for installing the new Palestinian committee to govern Gaza, deploying an international security force, disarming Hamas and taking steps to begin rebuilding.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share and Follow