Hip-hop artist 'Diddy' pleads not guilty ahead of May sex trafficking trial
Share and Follow


His trial is scheduled for May 5 and lawyers came to court Friday to work out details of how that trial will be conducted.

NEW YORK — Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs returned to federal court in New York City on Friday, pleading not guilty to the latest version of an indictment charging him with two decades of sex trafficking crimes.

The 55-year-old Combs, his beard noticeably grayer than even weeks ago, stood with his hands folded before him as he told Judge Arun Subramanian that he had read the indictment and understood the charges against him.

Combs, who has been held without bail since his September arrest, hugged two of his lawyers as he entered the courtroom and he blew kisses to family members and waved as he was led out by U.S. marshals afterward.

Subramanian told lawyers that questionnaires will be distributed to hundreds of prospective jurors at the end of April so that questioning of would-be jurors can begin on May 5, with opening statements expected to occur on May 12.

According to the indictment, Combs used the “power and prestige” he wielded as a music mogul to intimidate, threaten and lure women into his orbit, often under the pretense of a romantic relationship.

The indictment said he then used force, threats and coercion to cause victims, including three women specified in the court papers, to engage in commercial sex acts.

It said he subjected his victims to violence, threats of violence, threats of financial and reputational harm and verbal abuse.

“On multiple occasions, Combs threw both objects and people, as well as hit, dragged, choked and shoved others,” it said. “On one occasion, Combs dangled a victim over an apartment balcony.”

Defense lawyers have argued that prosecutors used the charges to try to demonize sex acts between consenting adults.

Part of the discussion in court Friday revolved around what will be allowed at the trial regarding a video that aired on CNN last year that showed Combs punching his former protege and girlfriend, the R&B singer Cassie, and throwing her on the floor in a hotel hallway.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Mitzi Steiner said the video was “critical to the case.”

Defense attorney Marc Agnifilo said the video was “deceptive and not in accordance with the actions that took place.”

He said certain actions were speeded up in the video by as much as 50 percent and others were taken out of order.

“From the defense standpoint, it’s a misleading piece of evidence, a deceptive piece of evidence, a piece of evidence that has been changed,” he said.

Steiner also said the government was reluctant to share information about accusers who may testify in the case with defense lawyers until deadlines arrive that require the information to be turned over.

She said many of the “individuals are incredibly frightened” not only at having their names revealed publicly but having them disclosed to defense attorneys.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Zelensky's Chief of Staff Andriy Yermak raided at Ukraine home and offices

Ukraine’s Anti-Corruption Drive: Zelensky’s Chief of Staff Andriy Yermak Targeted in Home and Office Raids

Anti-corruption authorities have conducted raids on both the residence and office of…
Utah death row inmate with dementia dies of natural causes 3 months after execution was halted

Utah Death Row Inmate with Dementia Passes Away Naturally Months After Execution Delay

A Utah inmate, whose execution was halted due to the onset of…
NY Jets cornerback Kris Boyd says he's back in the hospital after NYC shooting

NY Jets’ Kris Boyd Hospitalized Following NYC Shooting Incident: Latest Health Update

NEW YORK CITY — In a concerning turn of events, New York…
Prince William makes surprising U-turn on hobby loved by his wife Kate

Prince William’s Unexpected Change of Heart: Embracing Kate’s Beloved Hobby in a Royal Twist

In a surprising revelation, Prince William has expressed his newfound passion for…
Face the facts about NYC's plummeting public-school enrollment

Discover the Truth Behind NYC’s Declining School Enrollment Rates

New York City’s public school enrollment has experienced a 2% decline this…
Shooting at an Oklahoma State University residence hall wounds at least 3 people

Anchorage Shaken by 6.0-Magnitude Earthquake: Largest Seismic Event in Alaska Since 2021

SUSITNA, Alaska (AP) — Early Thursday morning, a significant earthquake with a…
US passenger goes missing while on shore during Caribbean cruise

Unraveling the Mystery: Shocking New Insights into US Cruise Passenger’s Disappearance in the Caribbean

The disappearance of an American woman on a Caribbean island has escalated…
Father of fallen National Guard member calls her death a 'horrible tragedy' in heartbreaking post

Heartbreaking Tribute: Father Mourns ‘Horrible Tragedy’ of Fallen National Guard Hero

In a poignant message shared on Facebook, Gary Beckstrom announced the tragic…