Wande Coal Fires Back at Davido: Unreleased Song Soared Even Without You

In a recent development in the Nigerian music scene, artist Wande Coal has countered Davido's statements about why their anticipated collaboration remains unreleased, suggesting...
HomeUSFallen Hero: Pentagon Confirms Identity of Army Soldier Killed in Iraq Combat...

Fallen Hero: Pentagon Confirms Identity of Army Soldier Killed in Iraq Combat Operation

On Tuesday, the Army released an update identifying Sgt. Michael Emmanuel Swinton, a 30-year-old from Fayetteville, North Carolina, as the American soldier killed while engaging in an operation to neutralize a downed Iranian attack drone at an airbase in Iraq last Sunday.

Sgt. Swinton was part of the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command. Tragically, he lost his life during the controlled destruction of the unmanned aerial system at Erbil Air Base, as announced by the Department of War. This incident remains under thorough investigation.

“Iran will face substantial repercussions for every American soldier’s life they take,” declared Trump on Monday via Truth Social. “This directive has been communicated to Secretary of War Pete Hegseth, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Daniel Caine, and all military leaders.”

Sgt. Swinton’s death raises the total number of U.S. service members killed in the ongoing conflict with Iran to 17. This total encompasses both fatalities from direct Iranian attacks and deaths stemming from crashes or other incidents related to U.S. military operations in the region.

Army Sgt. Michael Emmanuel Swinton poses for a photo

Sgt. Michael Emmanuel Swinton, 30, was killed in action during a controlled detonation of a downed One-Way Unmanned Aerial System on Friday, at Erbil Air Base, Iraq. (U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command via AP)

“USASMDC is saddened by the loss of Sgt. Swinton, whose death occurred during an operation to safeguard fellow soldiers,” Lt. Gen. John L. Rafferty, USASMDC commanding general, wrote in a statement. “His service will not be forgotten, and his sacrifice is not in vain. We will support Sgt. Swinton’s family and his unit during this difficult period. His loss will inspire his fellow soldiers to continue the mission.”

U.S. Central Command previously said the unexploded ordnance came from a downed Iranian one-way attack drone. Another service member was injured during the detonation and received medical treatment.

Swinton was assigned to D Battery, 2nd Battalion, 55th Air Defense Artillery Regiment, 108th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

“Sgt. Swinton was an experienced noncommissioned officer who took great pride in his work and the people around him,” Brig. Gen. John L. Dawber said in a statement. “He answered the call to duty with courage, honor, and selfless dedication.”

Lt. Tyler James Feehan, 25, of Ewa Beach, Hawaii, and Pvt. Isabella Gonzales, 19, of Carrollton, Texas

The first victims of restarted hostilities were identified as Lt. Tyler James Feehan, 25, of Ewa Beach, Hawaii, and Pvt. Isabella Gonzales, 19, of Carrollton, Texas, according to a Monday release.

Swinton, who will receive the Bronze Star, Purple Heart and Combat Action Badge, and be posthumously promoted to staff sergeant, had already received the Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, Army Service Ribbon and Combat Action Badge.

His death followed the killing of two U.S. soldiers in Jordan on Friday – 1st Lt. Tyler James Feehan, 25, of Ewa Beach, Hawaii, and Pvt. Isabella Gonzales, 19, of Carrollton, Texas – as American and allied forces defended against Iranian ballistic missile and drone attacks.

Central Command said another service member remained missing after those attacks, with President Donald Trump suspecting that missing member to have died, too.

Erbil Air Base exter

A US military base established in Herir District, 70km from Erbil, is seen in Iraq on October 17, 2015. (Photo by Hamit Huseyin/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

“We hit them very hard again tonight, and we did that in honor of the probably three – it’s probably three as opposed to two great patriots,” Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews on Sunday night.

“We feel very badly, but you know, those great people, those great patriots were out there fighting that Iran could not have a nuclear weapon.”

The United States launched Operation Epic Fury against Iran on Feb. 28. U.S. and partner forces have since targeted Iranian air defenses, missile and drone facilities, maritime capabilities and other military infrastructure in a restarting of strikes after the Iranian violations of the memorandum of understanding (MOU) over its fight for control of the Strait of Hormuz.

U.S. military strikes against Iran

Smoke rises after a U.S. one-way attack surface drone reached its target, a submarine and ship maintenance facility, in Bandar Abbas, Iran, according to U.S. Central Command, in this screengrab taken from a video released on July 13, 2026. (CENTCOM/Reuters)

More than 50,000 U.S. military personnel are operating across the Middle East, according to Central Command.