The family of Iryna Zarutska has taken legal action against the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, and its private transit security contractor, exactly one year after her tragic murder captured national attention. The lawsuit claims that “systemic failures” have rendered the city’s light-rail system perilously insecure.
“This case stems from the avoidable death of Iryna Zarutska,” asserts the wrongful-death lawsuit submitted against the City of Charlotte and Professional Police Services Inc., which operates under the name Professional Security Services, or PSS. It should be noted that the allegations have yet to be proven in court.
“These systemic failures have plagued the CATS system for years, and the city has been aware of them,” said Lauren Newton, legal counsel for Zarutska’s family and estate. Newton’s comments were previously reported by WBTV.

Iryna Zarutska huddles in fear as a man menacingly towers over her in a terrifying assault aboard a light rail train in Charlotte, N.C. (NewsNation via Charlotte Area Transit System)
The lawsuit contends that there was no security guard on the Lynx Blue Line train when Zarutska was tragically stabbed on August 22, 2025. It accuses PSS of failing to sufficiently staff and deploy both armed and unarmed security personnel on the transit system.
Charlotte’s amended contract with PSS provided funding for 219 security personnel for fiscal years 2025 and 2026, according to the complaint, which alleges PSS had hired 183 at the time of Zarutska’s killing. The lawsuit further alleges PSS had only 11 armed guards despite the contract providing for up to 39 armed personnel.

Booking photo of Decarlos Dejuan Brown Jr., taken Sept. 14, 2022, following his arrest in Mecklenburg County. Brown, 34, is now charged in the Aug. 22, 2025, stabbing death of Ukrainian refugee Iryna Zarutska aboard a Charlotte light-rail train. (Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office (MCSO))
“They weren’t fully staffed,” Newton told WBTV. “If there had been a security guard on that train, Iryna Zarutska would be here.” Her assertion that a guard would have prevented Zarutska’s death has not been established in court.
The complaint also takes aim at fare enforcement, alleging Zarutska’s accused killer, Decarlos Brown Jr., rode CATS transportation without paying before the attack. It alleges there were no physical barriers preventing non-ticketed riders from accessing the light rail.
“There’s been literally no fare enforcement and those things, at a basic level, are what’s necessary for safety. And there’s been none of that,” Newton told WBTV.

The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. (Omar Vega/Getty Images, File)
The lawsuit alleges Charlotte and PSS knew or should have known about the Blue Line and its stops had repeatedly been the site of criminal activity before Zarutska’s death. “Violent crime was absolutely foreseeable,” Newton told WBTV.
The estate brings claims including wrongful death based on allegedly negligent and inadequate security and gross negligence. It seeks damages exceeding $25,000 and punitive damages against PSS, but not against Charlotte.
WBTV previously reported that Charlotte said it does not comment on active litigation and that PSS had not responded to its request for comment.
“The family doesn’t want this to happen to anyone else’s loved one,” Newton previously told WBTV.
News Media separately reached out to Charlotte, PSS and Newton for comment but did not receive immediate responses.