Travis Kelce and Patrick Mahomes Face New Legal Challenge Over Steakhouse Business Woes

Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, celebrated teammates from the Kansas City Chiefs, are facing a lawsuit alongside their business partners. The issue arises from...
HomeUSFernando Mendoza Opts for Indiana's Pro Day Over NFL Combine Participation

Fernando Mendoza Opts for Indiana’s Pro Day Over NFL Combine Participation

Share and Follow

Fernando Mendoza is eager to highlight the abilities of his Indiana teammates, opting for a unique approach to showcase his skills.

Widely anticipated to be the top pick in the 2026 NFL Draft, Mendoza has decided to forgo throwing at the upcoming combine. This decision, reported by ESPN’s Adam Schefter, reflects his commitment to his team.

Instead, Mendoza will demonstrate his prowess during Indiana’s pro day on April 1. This choice is strategic, as it allows him to work alongside Indiana’s receivers, offering them a platform to shine alongside the 2025 Heisman Trophy winner, according to Schefter.


Fernando Mendoza, quarterback for Indiana, smiles while holding a football.
Hoosiers quarterback Fernando Mendoza smiles after their Indiana’s win over Miami in the College Football Playoff national championship on Jan. 19, 2026. AP

Earlier this month, Mendoza explained his reasoning on “The Pat McAfee Show,” emphasizing his preference for familiar surroundings. “At the combine, you’re paired with different receivers, which is a whole different experience,” he said. “I want to ensure my guys have the best opportunity to excel.”

“At the combine, you’re throwing to different receivers, it’s a whole different thing,” Mendoza said. “And I want to make sure I give my guys the best chance.

“I want to throw at pro day with my guys, with my running backs and be there with the boys.”

As the projected No. 1 pick in this year’s draft, Mendoza is expected to be selected by the Raiders, with the 22-year-old saying on Monday that he would be “blessed” to play for them.


Indiana Hoosiers quarterback Fernando Mendoza (15) celebrates with a teammate after rushing for a touchdown.
Fernando Mendoza (15) celebrates with his teammates after rushing for a touchdown during Indiana’s win over Miami in the national championship. Grace Hollars/IndyStar / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images

“I’d be blessed and honored to play for the Raiders, or I’d be blessed to play for any team,” he told reporters while receiving Davey O’Brien Award as the country’s top college quarterback, according to FOX Sports. “Any NFL team that drafts me, I’d be ecstatic.

“I know at the draft, I’ll probably shed a tear or two just because it’s such a full-circle moment for me. … The goal of transferring to Indiana was to make the NFL. It wasn’t to be a great college player. It was to try to develop into being an NFL quarterback one day.”

Mendoza proved to be the top college quarterback in a magical run for Indiana this past season, throwing for 3,535 passing yards — on a 72.0 percent completion percentage — along with a NCAA-leading 41 touchdowns while helping lead the Hoosiers to an undefeated season and the College Football Playoff National Championship.

Share and Follow