HomeUSGeorgia Supreme Court Rejects Appeal Bid from Accused Glynn County Child Murderer

Georgia Supreme Court Rejects Appeal Bid from Accused Glynn County Child Murderer

Share and Follow


According to the District Attorney’s Office, the case against the man will stay active until a determination on his competence to stand trial is made.

BRUNSWICK, Ga. — On Wednesday, the Brunswick Judicial Circuit District Attorney’s Office revealed that they have rejected a man’s request to appeal. The man is accused of murdering a child from Glynn County.

George Edenfield faces charges of “sodomy and murder” in connection with the death of six-year-old Christopher Barrios in March 2007. His parents, David and Peggy Edenfield, are also implicated in the crime.

Testimony from his father’s trial indicates that George Edenfield enticed Christopher into their family’s trailer, where both father and son allegedly molested and killed the boy by strangulation.

Christopher’s remains were discovered days later, encased in black garbage bags, in a wooded area located two miles away from the mobile home park where both the Edenfields and Christopher’s family resided.

According to the attorney’s office, Edenfield was found incompetent to stand trial and was committed to a state mental hospital. Over the past several years, he is said to have “repeatedly attempted to have the conditions of his commitment changed” so that he may leave the facility under supervision; however, each attempt was denied.

Regarding the dismissal of his most recent appeal, the court says that the decision was made because he had already tried filing a notice of appeal from the Glynn County Superior Court, which gave him “no basis” for also filing a discretionary application. The action was described as “duplicative.”

The DA says that until there is evidence that Edenfield is competent to stand trial, his murder case remains open.

Share and Follow