Hegseth declines to discuss possible US strikes in Venezuela, blames Dems on troop pay amid shutdown
Share and Follow

U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth remained tight-lipped about the possibility of military action against Venezuela, while criticizing Democrats for the federal government shutdown that has delayed troop payments.

The U.S. military has conducted over a dozen strikes on ships suspected of transporting drugs in international waters near Venezuela. These operations have reportedly resulted in the deaths of numerous suspected narco-terrorists. Additionally, the USS Gerald R. Ford and its strike group have been deployed to the U.S. Southern Command region. These moves have sparked speculation about whether the U.S. could be planning to oust Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.

During a meeting with defense ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, a journalist inquired if the U.S. was considering military action within Venezuela.

“I appreciate the question, but, naturally, we wouldn’t disclose any operational details regarding what might or might not occur,” Hegseth responded to reporters.

Pete Hegseth attends an ASEAN defense ministers meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Hegseth’s comments came during the ASEAN Defense Ministers Meeting in Kuala Lumpur on November 1, 2025. (Photo by Hasnoor Hussain/Pool/AFP via Getty Images)

President Donald Trump said Friday he was not considering strikes inside Venezuela, and Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the White House both pushed back against reports citing unnamed “sources” claiming any such plan was in motion.

Hegseth was also asked if there was an ethics review for an anonymous $130 million donation made to pay troops while the government is shut down.

Timothy Mellon, a reclusive billionaire and a major financial backer of President Donald Trump, made the donation, according to The New York Times.

“We are very grateful for generous Americans who would be willing to ensure that U.S. troops are paid,” Hegseth said. “And we’re thankful to President Trump and Vice President Vance and everyone, [director of the Office of Management and Budget] Russ Vought, and others who made sure, and our department did make sure, that no matter what’s happening, the troops are getting paid.”

Hegseth said getting troops paid is a priority of the president and slammed Democrats for not voting to reopen the government.

“Democrats are not contributing to that,” Hegseth said of troops getting paid.

Boat shown before US military strike

Two boats before being struck by the U.S. military this week. (X.com/SecWar)

“President Trump’s making that happen, and that’s an important outcome because the work we’re talking about right here, across our country, certainly the Department of War is front and center of that,” he said.

The pause in funding stems from the Oct. 1 shutdown after Senate lawmakers failed to reach a spending agreement in time for the end of fiscal year 2025 after a short-term extension of fiscal year 2025 funding aimed at keeping the government open through Nov. 21 passed the House mainly along party lines earlier in September.

Mellon, a grandson of former Treasury Secretary Andrew W. Mellon, is a backer of Trump who gave tens of millions of dollars to groups supporting the president’s 2024 campaign. Last year, he made a $50 million contribution to a super PAC supporting Trump, marking one of the largest single donations ever disclosed, The New York Times noted.

Hegseth was also asked about reports the United States was planning a “show of force” in response to recent Chinese aggression in the South China Sea. He said those reports are not in line with what’s happening there now.

Trump and Maduro alongside each other

Military strikes on vessels with alleged narco-terrorists have raised the prospect that the U.S. may be lining up to topple Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro. (Juan Barreto/AFP via Getty Images; Getty Images)

“[Indo-Pacific Commander] Admiral Paparo and I are in close coordination at all times, ensuring we’ve got capabilities where we need them, when we need them, but those specific reports are not in keeping with what’s happening right now,” Hegseth said.

“We’re always prepared for eventualities and what may or may not happen, to ensure we’re strongly postured and working with our partners in the Philippines,” he added. “Mostly, we’ve got lots of options and lots of capabilities in the region, but, ultimately, we’re not going to reveal precisely what we may or may not do.”

The United States and the Philippines have also formed a new joint task force to strengthen cooperation and enhance military readiness in areas such as the South China Sea.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
At least three injured in Black Friday shooting at Valley Fair Mall

Black Friday Chaos: Valley Fair Mall Shooting Leaves Three Injured Amid Shopping Frenzy

Shoppers at a bustling mall in West San Jose, California, were thrown…
Train pushes car quarter-mile on tracks as 82-year-old driver suffers minor injuries

Miraculous Survival: 82-Year-Old Escapes with Minor Injuries After Train Drags Car for Quarter-Mile

In a remarkable turn of events, an 82-year-old woman emerged with only…
National Guardsman shot dead 'was spat at by public', says boyfriend

Tragic Loss: National Guardsman Fatally Shot Amid Public Disdain, Alleges Heartbroken Boyfriend

The former boyfriend of the National Guardswoman who was tragically killed in…
Chicago communities celebrate Small Business Saturday, day after Black Friday, as holiday shopping season beings

Chicago Neighborhoods Embrace Small Business Saturday, Kicking Off the Holiday Shopping Season

CHICAGO (WLS) — Small Business Saturday serves as a dedicated day to…
James Patterson claims Marilyn Monroe was murdered in explosive new book theory

James Patterson Unveils Shocking Theory on Marilyn Monroe’s Mysterious Death in New Book

Renowned author James Patterson has stirred intrigue by suggesting that the iconic…
Victims in deadly Colorado carjacking crash identified as suspect's ID kept under wraps: 'Incomprehensible'

Tragic Colorado Carjacking Crash: Victims Named, Suspect’s Identity Shrouded in Mystery

Authorities have identified the victims of a tragic accident in Colorado involving…
Chicago Public Schools policy allows unlimited absences for illegal alien children amid ICE operations

Chicago Schools Implement Flexible Attendance Policy for Children of Undocumented Immigrants During ICE Raids

EXCLUSIVE: Chicago Public Schools (CPS) have implemented a policy permitting students who…
Venezuela's secret strategy to combat American invasion revealed

Venezuela’s Covert Plan to Counter Potential U.S. Incursion Uncovered

Venezuela is reportedly gearing up for a potential U.S. invasion following a…