Share and Follow
Iran has expressed a willingness to reach a compromise with the United States regarding a nuclear agreement, contingent upon discussions surrounding the lifting of sanctions, a senior Iranian official revealed on Sunday.
In an interview, Majid Takht-Ravanchi, Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister, emphasized that the United States holds the key to advancing the deal. “The ball is in America’s court to demonstrate their commitment to reaching an agreement,” he stated, adding, “If they are genuine, we are confident that we can move towards a resolution.”
“We are prepared to engage in dialogue about this and other aspects of our program if they are willing to address the issue of sanctions,” Takht-Ravanchi conveyed to the BBC.

These remarks from Takht-Ravanchi coincided with Iran’s top diplomat’s visit to Geneva for a new round of indirect negotiations with the U.S. delegation.
Takht-Ravanchi’s comments came as Iran’s top diplomat traveled to Geneva for a second round of indirect talks with the U.S. delegation.
Abbas Araghchi left for the Swiss city following an initial round of negotiations last week with Oman again mediating the next round of talks, according to Iranian state media and the Associated Press.
U.S. officials, however, have emphasized that Iran — not the U.S. — is holding up progress in negotiations.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Feb. 14 that President Donald Trump would prefer to reach an agreement but warned it was “very hard to do” one with Iran.
Past diplomatic efforts had collapsed in 2025 after Israel launched what became a 12-day war with Iran and U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear sites.

This satellite image provided by Maxar Technologies shows the Natanz nuclear facility in Iran on Jan. 24, 2025. (Maxar Technologies/AP)
But on Sunday, Takht-Ravanchi pointed to Tehran’s offer to dilute its stockpile of uranium enriched to 60% purity as evidence of its willingness to compromise, the BBC reported.
Asked whether Iran would ship its stockpile of more than 400 kilograms of highly enriched uranium abroad, as it did under the 2015 deal, Takht-Ravanchi said it was “too early to say what will happen in the course of negotiations.”
One of Iran’s main demands is that talks focus on the nuclear issue. “Our understanding is that they have come to the conclusion that if you want to have a deal you have to focus on the nuclear issue,” Takht-Ravanchi said.
Takht-Ravanchi also said the “issue of zero enrichment is not an issue anymore and as far as Iran is concerned, it is not on the table anymore.”

The USS Gerald R. Ford was ordered to move to the Middle East as the U.S. prepares for the possibility of sustained operations against Iran. (Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Ridge Leoni/U.S. Navy via AP)
Trump has since threatened further military action if a deal to curb Iran’s nuclear program cannot be reached.
The U.S. has also reinforced its military presence in the region amid heightened tensions and after spiraling protests across the country in December left thousands reportedly dead at the hands of the clerical regime.