HomeUSJavier Báez and Other Stars Miss Puerto Rico's World Baseball Classic Roster...

Javier Báez and Other Stars Miss Puerto Rico’s World Baseball Classic Roster Due to Insurance Issues

Share and Follow

In a surprising turn of events, baseball stars Francisco Lindor, Carlos Correa, and Javy Báez, who is well-remembered for his role in the Chicago Cubs’ 2016 World Series triumph, have been excluded from Puerto Rico’s lineup for the World Baseball Classic. The reason? Insurance coverage issues. Meanwhile, Japan, the reigning champions, have unveiled a formidable squad fronted by World Series winners Shohei Ohtani and Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

On the American front, the United States seems poised with arguably its strongest pitching lineup in the history of the tournament, now in its sixth edition. Leading the charge are Cy Young Award winners Paul Skenes and Tarik Skubal. Among the position players are some of the biggest names in baseball, including the American League’s MVP Aaron Judge, who will also captain the team, Bryce Harper, and Bobby Witt Jr. Notably absent is Mike Trout, who captained the U.S. team in 2023.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

The tournament is dazzling with talent, featuring 78 All-Stars, 36 of whom were part of last year’s lineup. The United States boasts the highest number of All-Stars at 22, while the Dominican Republic follows closely with 16, led by powerhouses Juan Soto, Vladimir Guerrero Jr., and Manny Machado.

In a gripping 2023 final, Japan narrowly defeated the U.S. 3-2, clinching their third title and first since 2009. The dramatic conclusion saw Ohtani striking out Trout, a moment that will be etched in baseball history. However, Ohtani will not be pitching in this year’s World Baseball Classic.

The tournament will take place from March 5-17, with games hosted in Tokyo, Houston, San Juan, Puerto Rico, and Miami, where the final will be held for the second consecutive time. The Americans claimed victory in 2017, while the Dominican Republic took the crown in 2013.

Both reigning MVPs and Cy Young winners are in the tournament for the first time.

Nolan Arenado will play for Puerto Rico after appearing for the U.S. in 2017 and 2023.

Edwin Díaz will be back with Puerto Rico after tearing the patellar tendon in his right knee while celebrating a 2023 win over the Dominican Republic, an injury that caused him to miss the New York Mets entire season.

Puerto Rico’s roster was impacted by insurance issues. The tournament is co-owned by Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association, and insurance is provided by National Financial Partners.

NFP’s policy for the tournament has a cutoff for a position player with a major or minor league contract whose second guaranteed year is in the season in which he turns 37 and for a pitcher whose fourth guaranteed year is in the season in which he turns 37, a person familiar with the policy said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the details had not been announced. The insurer also reviews players who had offseason surgery, the person said.

Insurance could become an issue if major league players wind up being eligible for the 2028 Olympics.

Lindor, a 32-year-old shortstop who has a $341 million contract with the New York Mets through 2031, had a right elbow elbow debridement after last season.

Correa, a 31-year-old Houston Astros shortstop and third baseman with a $200 million contract through 2028, had surgery in 2014 to repair a broken right tibia and both San Francisco and the Mets failed to approve his physicals for a contract during the 2022-23 offseason.

Báez, a 33-year-old Detroit Tigers infielder and outfielder, has a $140 million contract through 2027. He missed time in 2024 because of lumbar spine and hip inflammation.

Puerto Rico second baseman Javier Baez (9) returns to the dugout during a World Baseball Classic game against Nicaragua, Saturday, March 11, 2023, in Miami.
Puerto Rico second baseman Javier Baez (9) returns to the dugout during a World Baseball Classic game against Nicaragua, Saturday, March 11, 2023, in Miami.(AP Photo/Marta Lavandier)

“We fully trust in the talent and commitment of each player that will be representing Puerto Rico,” Puerto Rican Baseball Federation president José Quiles said in a statement.

Clayton Kershaw and Miguel Cabrera missed the 2023 tournament because of insurance issues. Kershaw, who turns 38 two days after this year’s final, is the oldest player on this year’s U.S. roster but has retired from the major leagues and doesn’t have a 2026 contract.

Cuban infielder Alexei Ramírez is the oldest player on any roster at age 44. Right-hander Adam Ottavino, who turned 40 in November is on Italy’s roster.

Brazil’s Joseph Contreras, a 17-year-old right-hander who is a son of former big leaguer José Contreras, is the youngest player on any roster.

Travis Bazzana, a 23-year-old Australian second baseman, joined Skenes and Harper as No. 1 overall draft picks in the tournament,

Cuban outfielder Alfredo Despaigne, the WBC career home run leader with seven, will be in his fifth tournament.

There are 306 players with major and minor league contracts, including 190 on 40-man rosters. In addition to Ohtani, Judge, Harper and Kershaw, MVPs include Venezuela’s Ronald Acuña Jr. and the U.S.’s Paul Goldschmidt.

Second baseman Jose Altuve said last weekend the Astros asked him not to play for Venezuela. Altuve broke his right thumb when hit by a Daniel Bard pitch during the 2023 tournament, causing him to miss the Astros’ first 43 games.

Colombia has the oldest roster at 29.9 years, followed by the U.S. at 29.7. Taiwan has the youngest at 26.7, just below Brazil at 26.9.

Copyright © 2026 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Share and Follow